Chapter 2

Welcoming and efficient

     Welcoming and efficient. As soon as the team was handed a case everything was a flurry of motion. "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." Benjamin Franklin. They were prepared. Bags were ready and everyone piled into cars that drove the team to the jet. The flight time was four hours and thirty minutes meaning the team would arrive to their destination by noon.

     "So this UnSub abducts these women and blows them up the next day." Emily began as she looked over the seat at Morgan's file. "Could be a need to assert control."

     "We shouldn't rule out sexual sadism either." Dr. Reid said. 

     Reid sat across from Morgan. JJ sat next to Reid while Hotch and Dave sat on the other side of the aisle.

     "Garcia, look for any prior records in the database." Hotch ordered the woman on the computer screen. "Minor disturbances, arson, or sexual assault."

     "You got it." She replied hanging up. The screen returned to the FBI logo.

     "That'll be a long list." Morgan commented.

     "It's somewhere to start." Dave answered.

     In the background Ashley was scribbling frantically in a notebook. She sat curled up comfortably on the couch. She was listening to what they said and was promptly recording it for her article. She paused frowning and shook her head. "Since 2010 there have been 12 accounts of bombings or attempted bombings resulting in 5 deaths and 316 people being injured. Don't bombers tend to want the mortality rate to be high? Why is this person only targeting these women?" She thought aloud, taking off her black cardigan to reveal a black and white striped tank top. She kicked off her red shoes in an attempt to get more comfortable.

     "That's what we hope to find out." Hotch replied.

     Morgan grinned at her. "That's a lot of information."

     Emily looked across at Reid. "Was she right?"

     Reid furrowed his eyebrows in confusion that someone had said the exact same thing he had been thinking. "Yeah, you were." He said looking over at Ashley. "What's your middle name?" He asked randomly.

     "Una." Ashley replied slowly. "My parents said that it's from Edmund Spenser's-"

     "The Faerie Queene." Reid interrupted the gears in his head beginning to turn. 

     The team looked back and forth between the two of them like it was an interesting tennis match.

     Ashley managed a nod. "It's a fifteenth century book."

     "I know."

     "We're heading to Vegas right?" Ashley asked changing the subject, she played with her necklace nervously.

     "Yeah, why?" JJ answered.

     "It's nothing." Ashley mumbled brushing her brown hair behind her ear. She took out a book and hid behind the cover. Her leg bounced up and down anxiously.

     The team shared a look. They knew she was lying but silently decided to not yet say anything.

     "Morgan, when we land I want you to go to the last crime scene. See if you can get any more information on the UnSub." Hotch stated. "Reid, work up a geographical profile. JJ, try to keep the media out of this, we don't need to cause a panic. Dave, talk with people in the area see if they noticed anything out of place. Prentiss get in contact with the families of the two girls and see who they lived with. They might've seen something unusual and not realized it. I'll talk with local police and see what they know."

     The team nodded and for the remainder of the flight put the case aside until they landed.

     The shuffling of paper was the only thing that was heard for a long while.

     "Are you actually reading that, sweetheart?" Morgan asked breaking the silence.

     Everyone looked up at Ashley who was flipping through the pages of her book almost as fast as Reid.

     It took her a second to realize he had been talking to her. "Yes I'm actually reading it." She replied a bit defensive.

     Morgan held his hands up in surrender. "Just asking." He assured. "How many words can you read a minute?"

     "Ten thousand." Ashley replied simply.

     Morgan offered her one of his blinding smiles making the girl hide behind her book again. He turned to Spencer, "Pretty boy, looks like you've got competition." He teased good naturedly.

     Spencer only studied Ashley more closely wondering if the theory in the back of his mind was a possibility.