Chapter 7

Franklin Roosevelt said, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear

     Franklin Roosevelt said, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear." It is with this courage that law enforcement wakes up in the morning and does their job everyday. It's because of them our cities and our country remains safe. These men and women that sacrifice their time, their families, and themselves do so in the face of fear. When the decision was made, not a single member of the BAU showed or voiced their concern. The eyes, however, are telling. I could see their worry for me, but they kept it to themselves. They were not afraid. This was routine. They prepared in every possible way and assisted me in the process. It was during this time I knew nothing would happen to me. 

     "You understand the profile?" Hotch asked again.

     "Yes."

     "Remember to feed into his ego. He's not a people person or a narcissist but he's still proud of his work." Spencer added. 

     Spencer was still clearly worried and upset. Derek had yet to speak a word to her.

     "Take off all of your jewelry." Emily added. "You don't want to give him any trophies."

     "Okay." Ashley replied, putting her jewelry away in her purse for safe keeping.

     "Remember you can't go there with your phone or GPS or a wire." Garcia said over the phone. "It could set the bomb off."

     "The team will be nearby if you need us." Dave added. "We'll have a visual on you at all times."

     "Okay, you guys are making me nervous." Ashley breathed, trying for a smile. She pulled her silky brown hair back into a ponytail and tugged on dark blue running sneakers.

     "You should be." Hotch answered seriously. "Let's head out it's almost dark. We need to get to the UnSub's hunting grounds."

     The team filed out of the police station.

     "Yo, Ash. Hold up." Derek said before she could follow them out the door.

     Ashley turned around, "What is-"

     She was cut off by his lips on hers.

     Ashley kissed back with just as much fervor. Her arms wrapped around his neck as he moved his lips skillfully against her own.

     His hands cupped her face.

     Finally she pulled away, breathless. "I'm not going to die, you know."

     "Not on my watch." He agreed with his usual grin.

     She followed him out to the rest of the team that was waiting by the SUV's, fixing her black tank top and gray leggings as she went.