SIX - testing time

SIX —— testing time

Bee hated her job as a lifeguard

Bee hated her job as a lifeguard. She hated the fact that she was responsible for saving others if necessary, she hated the bright red one-piece and stark white shorts she had to wear, and she hated the screaming little kids who never seemed to listen. But it payed well, so she put up with it. The pool she worked at was one of Figure Eight's exclusive clubs that required an expensive membership in order to use it for leisure.

The other lifeguard on duty that day was a Kook a couple years younger than Bee. His name was Parker and he explained to her that he loved swimming so much, he took the job as an extra-curricular activity. The owner was friends with his parents, so his position was as secure as could be. At least the kid was nice enough to Bee, even if it was only because he had an unrequited crush on her.

Today, Parker patrolled the chaotic kiddie section while Bee supervised the deep end and the steaming hot tub. Puffs of steam lingered above the tub's water, bubbling under the pressure of the jets. In the deep end, a team of swimmers practised diving into the water to swim lengths back and forth across the pool.

"Bee?" Someone asked from behind her.

Bee turned away from watching the swim team and came face to face with a familiar boy. He sported a shy smile and yellow swim trunks that complimented his bronze skin.

"Hey! Milo, right?" she asked, even though she knew she was right.

"Yeah, hey. You work here?"

"Yep," Bee nodded, then tilted her head with curiosity. "Are you here with a friend?"

"Yeah," Milo nodded. "Hey, listen, my parents are really liking it here and are looking into a few houses. Could I get your Snapchat in case things work out and we do end up moving here?"

Bee was flattered by his question, so she nodded. "Sure. And just so you know, we can still talk even if you live on the mainland," she said, then proceeded to tell him her username. She scanned her zone of the pool while he tapped the keyboard of his phone, probably using his data to add her. She wondered how it must feel to use data so freely — for her family, it was strictly for emergencies because of its high cost.

"That's good news," Milo said, "because I had a lot of fun at that party the other night." Somehow, despite the fact that Milo clearly had shy tendencies, he was one of the smoothest talking Tourons Bee had ever met. Perhaps it was simply the genuine air of his demeanour. "Anyway, I have to go, they guys are waiting for me outside. I'll see you around?"

"See you around, Milo," Bee said, absently wondering who he meant when he said 'the guys.' Did she know them? Were they shit-disturbers like Topper? Or perhaps they were part of the quieter Kook crowd. For some reason, the thought troubled her. What if Topper himself was one of Milo's friends?