TWENTY-ONE - gold rush

TWENTY-ONE —— gold rush

The sun had set a couple hours ago, and the Pogues plus Sarah were on their way to the Crain house, nervous and excited and hopeful all at once. Bee sat between Kiara and JJ, trying her best not to feel awkward around the blond boy. It was hard, though, because she couldn't stop thinking about how close they'd come to kissing. She couldn't figure out how he seemed so nonchalant about it all, as he continued to crack jokes and bump his knee against hers just to bug her.

Why was it so easy for him to continue on like normal, when for her everything feels different? Because that almost kiss... it means he actually likes her, and not just the playful flirting. It means he's actually interested and genuinely thinks about her. And if she's honest, that scared Bee.

"You guys got rope?" John B asked, running through the checklist of items they'd need for the mission. He had one hand on the steering wheel while the other rested in the open window, cool night air filtering into the van.

"Got it," Pope confirmed.

"Grappling hook?"

"We don't have a grappling hook," Pope sighed. "We're not Batman."

John B pulled up next to the brick wall outside the Crain house and put the van in park. He glanced back at his friends, who were all piled in the back. "Pulley?"

"Check," Kie said.

"Dark clothes?" John B continued down the mental checklist.

Bee nodded. "Yep."

"Flashlights?"

"Check," JJ said.

John B nodded and said, "All right, good. We're ready."

"Let's go get rich, guys," JJ grinned, nudging Bee's shoulder excitedly.

"Hell, yeah." Bee nudged him back, disguising the shy smile on her face as one of anticipation for their mission.

"Let's go, boys," Sarah said, shifting so she was closer to the door.

"And girls," Kiara corrected.

JJ patted Bee's leg and said, "Let's roll."

Bee knew he was using every excuse he could to touch her, be close to her, but she didn't mind. Despite her underlying worry, she realized she liked the reassurance that perhaps he felt something more than just friendship for her, too.

A moment later, John B opened the sliding door for them and everyone moved to climb out.

"Wait, wait," John B said. They all paused and watched him, curious. "I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously." He briefly locked eyes with each of his friends. "It means a lot to me that you're here tonight."

Kiara rolled her eyes, a small smile passing across her face. "Always."

"Of course, man," Pope said, nodding. He and John B did the Pogues' signature handshake.

Bee smiled at John B. "Pogues for Life, bro."

Sitting there in John B's van, prepared to trespass and risk getting caught, Bee knew she'd do anything to help her friends. And right now, John B needed his friends to help him find the gold.

"All right, are we done with the circle jerk?" JJ asked, exasperated, as he slung the rope over his shoulder. "Can we go do this?"

Bee took a deep breath and nodded, more excited than afraid. Adrenaline was growing in her chest with ever passing minute at the prospect of actually unearthing millions in gold.