EIGHT - to going full kook

EIGHT —— to going full kook

Bee managed to climb out of the dank tomb using the cracks and chips in the stone wall as footholds

Bee managed to climb out of the dank tomb using the cracks and chips in the stone wall as footholds. She shimmied—rather gracelessly—out of the hole and toppled into JJ's ready arms. Without wasting any time, Bee stepped away from his surprisingly warm hold in order to display the envelope held in her hands.

"I thought the tomb might be empty but I found this," she offered.

"That's not gold," Pope sighed.

"Holy shit," said John B after a moment, staring at the huge envelope. "This is from my dad."

Bee's eyebrows lifted, surprised. Maybe inside it was letters, or a photograph or something.

"Code red, code red," JJ said from behind them. "Square groupers!"

Bee glanced in that direction to see bright flashlights skimming over grave stones and grass. She promptly scrambled to hide behind the tomb in a panic, the rest of the Pogues hot on her heels. When she crouched, she felt the hot sting of her scrape as it brushed against her shoe and bit back a grimace.

"Lights!" Kie said, clicking off her flashlight.

Bee did the same, then huffed a sigh of mild relief when the friends were cast under a blanket of darkness. Someone shuffled, and then Bee squinted to watch JJ as he crawled to the end of the wall and poked his head around it.

"Do you think it's them?" Kie asked, leaning over to take a look as well.

"Are they coming towards us?" Bee asked.

"Homie's got a gun," JJ said, moving back behind the wall.

Kie shook her head and turned her flashlight back on. "Screw this."

She took off sprinting, and Bee was right on her heels, more terrified of the square groupers than she cared to admit. The teenagers dashed toward the fence and climbed it as fast as they could. Bee scaled the fence with ease, due to years of practise. Spending time with the Pogues practically ensured she would eventually learn how to maneuver herself out of close calls, and for that, she was grateful. She started towards the van but glanced behind her when she heard Pope call out for help.

"Guys, I'm stuck!" he shouted, propped rigidly on top of the fence.

"Pope, come on, man!" JJ said. He yanked the gun out of his shorts and pointed it near Pope, telling him not to move.

"You dumbass," Bee hissed, pushing his arms down as John B did the same. "You'll hurt him!"

Bee shoved JJ further away, then watched as Kie successfully yanked Pope down from the fence—without his shorts, which were now ripped in half and hanging from one of the spikes. Bee let out a short bark of laughter, covering her mouth with her hand as she dashed toward the van and climbed in the back. She waited for Kie and Pope to hop in before sliding the door closed with a firm click.