Chapter two: We meet again

I woke up early since my house phone went off. I answered and tried not to sound tired.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hello, is this (Y/N) Anderson?" The man on the other end asked.

"Speaking."

"You auditioned for Princess Cynthia yesterday, correct?"

"I did."

"I'm sorry to say you didn't get the part and we couldn't cast you as anyone else, unfortunately. I'm sorry."

I sighed in disappointment, "it's alright. I'll... try to find a different production. Thank you for the opportunity."

"You're welcome."

I hung up and sighed again. Of course, I didn't get the part. I went back upstairs, got dressed and went onto my balcony for some fresh air. It was rather nippy since it was about 6:30 in the morning and I think the lamplighters just started their shifts. For no particular reason, I decided to sing.

'Viento a viento va, el sueño del mar gira sin para. Viento a viento va, durmiendo al sol un giño de luz se perdio. Tu cuerpo se hace vientre estatua transparente, en la arena oscura esperarás. Viento a viento va bailando el mar esta so-'

"(Y/N)?" I heard someone say.

I looked down to see Bert on a ladder that was leaning on the lamppost closest to me. The light wasn't turned off so he wasn't there long.

"So, you're a lamplighter now," I said walking a bit closer to him.

"I learned all the traits, remember?" Bert said turning the light off.

"I thought you were joking," I confessed.

Bert just chuckled, "what are you doin' up so early?"

"I got a call from the theatre this morning."

"Did you get the part?"

"I didn't and I didn't get a different part."

Bert looked very shocked and confused, "how'd you not get the part? I lis'ened to you for li'le under a minute and you sounded wonderful! But, why didn't it work?"

"Why didn't what work?" I asked.

"It's good luck to shake a sweeps 'and."

"I wasn't late for the audition, maybe it happens once per handshake."

"That might be how it works but I rarely do it."

"Oh, right."

"What was the song, might I ask?"

"Canto del mar. It means Song of the Sea in English."

"You 'ave a beautiful voice, (Y/N). I'm shocked you didn't get the part."

I was confused but then realised, "oh, no, it wasn't musical theatre, it was just theatre. You know, lots and lots of talking."

"Oh! Right, sorry," Bert apologised.

"Bert, you have nothing to apologise for," I assured him.

We talked for a while longer before Bert said he had to get back to work. I let him and asked him to come back once he was done.

Bert's POV:

I finished my leerie job and headed to (Y/N)'s house. I wonder why she asked me to come back. When I arrived, she let me inside to the dining room where there were two breakfasts set up.

"It looked like you haven't eaten anything today so, I made you a little something," (Y/N) explained.

"A li'le somethin'? I haven't had this amount of food in years," I said.

(Y/N) giggled and we sat down. Her cooking was actually really good. There were no maids in sight so it was clear she did it herself. I thought she might've had one or two considering she's a blue blood but no. She must be somewhat like me. I'm a blue blood too but I left that life when I learned I had to take over my father's business one day. You would never see a man like me in my father's business. I'm not that kind of man. I finished my food before (Y/N) and, out of habit, started picking at the scab that formed from last night.

"Bert, don't pick at it," (Y/N) told me, "it might get infected, especially in your chimney sweep job."

"Oh..."

"Hey, you didn't know. Do you want me to cover it with a bandage?"

"Will it stop infection?"

"It will pervert it."

"Then, yes please."

(Y/N) left with the plates and came back with a bandage. She rolled my sleeve up a bit and gently wrapped the bandage around my hand. I was still confused about why she was being so kind to me. Me. A poor old sweep with hardly any money, who she's only known for a day and yet, she treats me like a normal person. (Y/N) finished wrapping my hand and went to get her scarf.

"I need to go out and get things from town. Would you like to join me?" (Y/N) asked.

"I need to start me next job so, why not?" I said.

While we walked, we got to know each other a lot more. I asked why she wore her scarf in spring which was confusing me slightly. She told me that her scarf has been part of her family for a long time, passed down to the eldest daughter. She wears it because it makes her stand out. That it does. After a couple of laughs, I had to start one of my may jobs.

(Time skip)

I was busy drawing on the sidewalk with my chalk when I heard coins drop in my hat. I looked up to see (Y/N) again.

"Is there anything you can't do, Bert?" She asked.

"I can't run a business," I told her.

(Y/N) chuckled and kneeled down for a closer look at my pictures, "these are beautiful."

'Not as beautiful as you,' I thought to myself.

"Why is this one blank?" (Y/N) asked pointing at a picture frame I drew.

"It's just a picture frame. I 'ave no one to put in it," I explained.

"Oh, well, I hope someone or something will come to your brilliant mind."

"You can fill it in if ya like."

"Are you sure?"

"Aye, go on..."

(Y/N) started drawing in the frame and I watched. She drew a dog which was actually really good. Ince she was finished, I gave her a tuppence.

"It's all I 'ave," I said.

"I thought you might've made more with all your jobs," (Y/N) said.

"If only people would pay me more."

"What's the largest amount you've earned?"

"Your half a crown from yesterday."

"You've only earned half a crown once?"

I nodded. (Y/N) was going to say something but it started to rain and it rained hard. I quickly gathered my things and (Y/N) brought me to her house for shelter. By the time we got there, we were soaked. (Y/N) gave me a towel and went to get into something dry after lighting a fire to keep us warm.

"I don't have any spare clothes for you," (Y/N) told me.

"It'll be alright," I assured her.

(A/N: that's all for this chapter)