Chapter Seven: Step in time

We ended up at the Banks house because that's where the sweeps said they wanted to meet but they were all hiding. We suddenly heard shouting from the chimney. It was the Banks children.

"Hello there!" Michael said.

We helped the children out the chimney.

"Bert! (Y/N)! What are you two doing up here?" Jane asked.

"And where else should a chimney sweep be?" I asked, 'a chimney swept, a secret kept up here above the gables another world to be unfurled. It ain't just myths and fables. A chimney stack looks cold and black against a twilit sky but never fear, there's warmth up here. Perhaps you'll find out why.'

Mary then popped out of the chimney with a whoosh, took out a powder compact from her pocket checking her face and evened the spot with a powder puff.

"The world is awfully big, isn't it?" Michael asked.

"And what does that tell you?" Mary asked.

"That we are awfully small and unimportant?" Michael replied.

"Oh, speak for yourself," Mary said.

"Not us, so much, but our troubles. They seem so big down in the nursery but up here..." Jane said.

"That's more like it. Troubles are never so bad when you look at them from a little higher up," I said, "and always remember, there's plenty of folk ready to help you should you need 'em."

"Who?" Jane asked.

'Chim chiminey chim chiminey chim chim cher-ee. Now, guardian angels, you don't often see. They're not high fallutin', not grand nor aloof. Nah, they're covered in soot and they're up on your roof,' I told them.

'Chim chiminey chim chim cher-ee,' the kids sang.

"SEE IT'S TRUE!" I said.

At last, the rest of the chimney sweeps appeared and started singing, 'brush away the dirt and soot, brush away your tears. Cobwebs that aren't swept away hang around for years. In all weathers, up all hours we can see for miles. Our idea of heaven is a night out on the tiles. We may look a motley crew smudged with tar and grime but when you need a helping hand we try to step in, try to step in, try to step in just in time.'

'We will step in-' I joined in.

'Step in time!'

'We will step in-'

'Step in time!'

'Never need a reason, never need a rhyme, we will step in...'

'Step in time!' Me and the other sweeps sang, 'over the rooftops, step in time. Over the rooftops, step in time. Never need a reason, never need a rhyme! Over the rooftops, step in time!'

The five of us went off to the side as the sweeps continued, 'watch your step, but step in time. Watch your step, but step in time. Never need a reason, never need a rhyme! Watch your step, but step in time! Kick your knees up, step in time. Kick your knees up, step in time. Never need a reason, never need a rhyme. Kick your knees up, step in time.'