Chapter Twelve: Tragedy

Bert's POV:

We found a way out and went to the stairwell which was crowded with people. The gates were closed and they would let anyone through. I heard someone shout to the men on the other side that the ship was sinking but they wouldn't listen. (Y/N) and I decided to find another exit and we found another stairwell but people already beat us there and the bloody gate was closed! I went up to the gate to confront the people behind the gate.

"Open the gate," I told him.

"Go back to the main stairwell," he told me.

"Open the gate right now!" I said raising my voice.

"Go back to the main stairwell, like I told you!"

I turned to (Y/N) who silently sighed and shook her head. For once in I don't know how long, I lost it. I shook and banged on the gate in anger and slipped out a couple of swears. I saw a bench next to us and I tried pulling it off the floor to try to use it to break the gate with it. The others helped me with the bench and we rammed it into the gate breaking it off the wall.

The man tried to tell us we couldn't go this way but someone punched him in the face. We got to the top deck to see no boats. We asked someone if there were any more boats and they said there were some more down the other end of the ship so we ran there. There were a crowd of people trying to get on the boat but they were only allowing women and children on. I tried to convince (Y/N) to get on the boat and leave me but she was being very stubborn about it.

"Get in the boat, (Y/N)!" Her dad said suddenly appearing behind me.

"I'm not leaving either of you!" (Y/N) said.

"(Y/N), get in the boat! We'll be fine!" I told her.

"I've made arrangements on the other side of the ship. Bert and I will get on that one. Please get in this one, we'll see each other again," (D/N) explained.

"See? We'll be fine. Please, get in. We'll see each other again, I promise."

I kissed her before one of the crew members put her in the boat. (D/N) uncuffed me as I watched (Y/N) slowly being lowered down into the water.

"Why didn't you give (Y/N) the key?" I asked.

"I didn't have it on me when she ran off," (D/N) explained.

"There's uh... there's no arrangement, is there?"

"Not for either of us. I just want her to survive."

"I know... so do I..."

I looked back down at (Y/N) not wanting to waste a second of my last view of her. Everything felt like it went silent. Everyone giving orders, the people behind me and the rockets they were firing to get someone's attention, all went quiet. Tears were threatening to fall but I held them back as I looked at the woman I loved for the last time. Suddenly, (Y/N) scrambled across the boat back onto the ship!

What was she doing?! I called after her but she disappeared on the deck under us. I ran down to the deck below and met her at the first-class staircase. We embraced each other before I started kissing her over and over asking why she did that. She just said that she couldn't leave me. I couldn't argue with her at this point and just hugged her. (D/N) caught up with me and saw us hugging.

(Time skip due to writer's block)

We were on the end of the ship as it sat in the air. (Y/N) and I were given life belts by Mr Andrews and (D/N) a while ago. We suddenly heard loud creaking as the power cut off leaving us in complete darkness. The creaking turned into loud snapping as the ship split in two. The end we were on rose up again and people started falling, probably breaking something important or losing their lives on impact. The ship started sinking and that's when I started panicking and everything became a blur.

Everything that happened is now a rushed, blurry memory. All I remember is going under the water, struggling through the crowd of people and crawling onto a large wooden board with (Y/N) letting my mind relax from the rushed events. The temperature of the water was numbing, it was pitch black and everyone's yelling and screaming was deafening. We were shivering like mad. I tried my best to hug (Y/N) to keep us both warm but it was hard to do without flipping the wood.

(Time skip)

Silence... that's all I could hear. Silence. People stopped yelling and screaming, they stopped struggling and all I could hear was (Y/N)'s soft breathing as she slept and the light sound of the water. I was determined to stay awake in case someone came to save us or anyone else who was alive in this ice-cold water. I was beginning to lose hope when I found it. A light in the distance and a man calling out. I tried calling out to him but my voice was almost gone.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N), wake up!" I said shaking her awake, "there's a boat. I'll be right back."

I carefully slipped off the board and attempted to swim towards someone who was blowing a whistle before he stopped. I blew the whistle gaining the attention of the people on the boat. I swam back to (Y/N) as I continued using the whistle. They helped us on the boat and covered us with blankets to keep us warm. We helped others who survived onto the boat but there weren't many. Only six including us.

Unfortunately, (D/N) wasn't one of them.

Time felt like it slowed down as we waited for another ship to take us to dry land. One finally found us and let us on. The crew questioned everyone about things I chose not to remember while collecting their life belts. After a couple of days, we arrived in America on a rainy day. (M/N) found us when we got on the docks and apologised for what she did to me back on the Titanic and offered to pay for a hotel for us. It was... unexpected.

(A/N: this is all I have this week)