Chapter 16- Deep Into GuoLiang's Heart

Four years passed like how the light slowly rises and gives a ray of color of orange, red and yellow above the vast darkness in the night sky. A man can be found standing in the gardens of Lanfen’s humble home. His long jet-black hair was swaying with the whispers of the wind, his black robes also danced with it. His emotionless eyes were blankly staring at a distance that one cannot simply reach. Merely looking at him causes one’s skin to shiver in cold.

All these years Guoliang took his time to recover his lost energy and power from the assassination attempt of his father. It was also the perfect time for him to study Lanfen like a predator watching its prey, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. He wanted that power she used to bring him back to the dead that night. After acquiring that for himself, he would go back to that wretched kingdom of his and extract revenge. Even if they wound him, even if he critically exhausts himself he will not die because he has that fox essence with him.

Guoliang imagined himself forcing his way into the palace, ground covered in bright red blood like a red carpet being walked upon a by a very important guest. He can see the shock and terror in the cabinet’s eyes as he parades his way to the throne and thrusts his sword into his king father’s heart. Oh, such satisfaction!

While thinking of all that is going to happen, his thin lips curved of a grin. His eyes darkened like a mad person’s. He began to exude a dangerous and evil aura. Suddenly, a pair of jade white slender hands poked at his sides. His thoughts were held into a halt as the action caused him to feel chills running up his back bone, he twitched. Guoliang turned around to see a lady in white standing behind him, one hand holding a basket of vegetables the other was onto her hips. Her brows were knitted together as she stared at Guoliang. Wah, still beautiful even though she’s angry!

“ You look as if you’re planning something bad again. Aiya! You look so scary that the plants even died in your presence.” Lanfen said.

Guoliang looked down, finding that each plant where he was supposed to pick some vegetables wilted and turned black. He looked into Lanfen who was still standing before him. Lanfen passed around him and sat to see her dead plants. She her coral colored plump lips curved into a lonely smile as she touched the dead plant with her index finger. Ofcourse, Lanfen loved her garden and every plant that is planted in it. After all she is a fox, she belonged and exist with the nature ,may it be plants or animals, as one.

“Every life is equally important, may it be a small bug, may it be a plant.” She stated, almost a whisper. She turned around and raised her head, her kind clear eyes met with Guoliang’s.

He always hated her stares. It was as if she was intruding and peeking her way into the depths of his soul. He hated how each stare didn’t show any tinge of disgust and judgement. He felt something tug in his heart. Guilt? Guilt of the things he planned and envisioned? No! That’s impossible, he knows from the inside that he, Guoliang, is an evil person and nothing and no one can change that. Since he was born, he lived for the thrill of the battlefield, the blood, the action! He was born to be a killing machine for his father, for the southern kingdom! That’s why when it all ended, he too was chosen to be ended, discarded, forgotten.

“No person is innately evil. Evil is made, not born. People do bad things because they have to, or they have been forced to.” Lanfen said, her voice was sad, her eyes still looking at him almost like trying to fight her way down to the deepest of his soul.

Guoliang’s eyes widened, he felt his head throb. Is it possible that she could really read his mind? But if that’s the case, why wouldn’t she run? Why is she still treating him nicely? An endless list of questions bombarded his mind.

“ Ah-” But before he can even say a word, Lanfen began to speak as if nothing happened. She was back to her energetic self.

“Liangliang! If you continue to be like this, I will not cook dinner for you anymore! Hmph! She said and marched inside her house. On the other hand, Guoliang stood there like a plank of wood stiff, cold, sad and disappointed? He tried to conceal it, but he really loved Lanfen’s cooking. It was not out of the world delicious, it was not bad either, it has a certain taste and kind warmth in it which he cannot put into a word.