29. Nutcase

Rumors certainly are rubbish opinions of malicious people; baseless yet toxic to one's reputation and character. Before judging someone, one should meet and interact with the person because action speaks louder than words.

Hmm? I, Amber Ross, sounds so philosophical? Getting to know Miss Maria made me so...

According to the rumors, Maria Lily Burnsworth is a woman with mediocre intellect. But NO!

On the first day of working with her, I've observed that she could finish a mountain of paper works in just a short amount of time. She can even do anything from content revisions, grammatical errors, budget auditing and many more. If this is mediocre then I am an idiot.

Due to the ferocity Miss Maria showed yesterday, I expected that she would be rough on the edges when it comes to her actions. Surprisingly, her poise exhibited dignity and grace which is truly befitting of a daughter from a wealthy family. Though from time to time, I would notice a cold smile on Miss Maria's face as she read the documents she was working on.

Frightening yet beautiful...

The frightening part is actually more, yes, I shouldn't make an enemy out of her.

My train of thought was cut short by a melodious voice.

"Well then, I guess I am done for today," Miss Maria said as she placed her pen down.

"Yes! All necessary works for today are done my que – I mean, Miss Maria." I chimed as I received from her the documents containing the revised budget proposal of a certain club in the school.

She shook her head. "Just call me Maria. Since I recognized you as a friend, formalities should be dropped."

She gave me a heart fluttering smile which almost made me want to squeal in delight.

"It is my greatest pleasure to be your friend Mis – I mean, Maria!"

I wouldn't mind calling you Queen if you want to.

"By the way, these are the data that you've asked from me. As instructed, I've compiled all available data on each person." I handed a USB flash drive to Maria which she gladly accepted.

The moment the USB flash drive was on her hands, her lighthearted smile turned into a cunning one. It made me feel like as if I'm confronting a sly fox.

She let out a soft chuckle which gave me goosebumps.

"Honestly, I didn't think that you would actually do the task that I have given you." Maria played with the USB flash drive on her hands.

"The Ross family is neither too wealthy nor low on status. Despite its mediocrity, the family was able to survive for 87 generations. The family business is currently being handled quite well by the current patriarch. Your company manages a relatively big IT company, am I right?" Maria's black eyes were as sharp as knives yet her voice wasn't threatening at all, on the other hand, it was quite enticing.

I nodded in confirmation and my lips started to curl up in a grin.

"Amber Ross, the second child of the Ross family. Unlike your older brother, who was known for his computer skills, you didn't have enough commendable skills for the family business. Despite having good clerical skills, enough for you to be installed as the school council's secretary, you seem to be the type of person that gets easily unnoticed."

Maria's eyebrows slightly rose as she eyed me with complete interest.

"Amber, is it so fun acting like a nameless character?" Maria's voice had a tinge of ridicule.