30. Dodged a bullet

"I love you."

Such sweet words coming from the only person who was able to touch my heart and soul.

Right now, I am accepting the confession of the person whom I adored the moment I laid my eyes on. Her confession meant that I have triumphed over the many men desiring for her love.

Despite wearing a simple off-shoulder white chiffon dress, she looked like an angel. Her hair glistened like gold as the rays of sunlight hit each strand of hair and her beautiful silver eyes were gazing at me with such love and adoration.

This is the happiest moment of my life and I know, there will be more happy moments to come in the future.

However...

The happiness that I was expecting to feel felt bland.

Instead...

I felt a sense of doubt and panic. Unexpectedly, something within me made me feel repulsive when I heard her say those three words.

Charlotte finally noticed that I looked dazed and confused.

"Hannibal?" Charlotte called out to me making me snap out of my reverie.

"What's wrong Hannibal?" She inquired as she reached out, trying to hold my hand.

Unconsciously, I avoided her hand making her pale and horrified of my reaction. I couldn't easily voice out some comforting words to her because I was too confused of my own feelings; these feelings that seem to come from nowhere.

"Hannibal... don't you love me too?" Charlotte's voice was stained with distress. She added, "Hannibal, I chose you amongst those who yearn for my love. So why won't you accept my feelings?"

Chose you...

This phrase echoed in my head then a flood of memories started pouring in my mind.

"Agh!!!" I screamed out in pain as I felt like my head was about to burst.

Due to the intense pain, I passed out.

While I was in deep slumber, I dreamt of myself going through several lifetimes. What I dreamt were not past lives of mine but rather, my lives in a similar setting of what I have now. I was watching many lives of mine as I lived in the same world and time. It felt like I was an audience in a cinema.

For some reason, the dreams were emphasizing on my relationship with Charlotte. On those lives, Charlotte would always choose a different man despite all the love and affection that I give to her. This made me feel disgusted with myself.

She was treating us, the men who sought after her love, like a multiple-choice bazaar items that whoever has the highest price would be chosen.

My heart shattered and I felt horrified when I saw that every time I turn my back or leave her sight, her pure and innocent smile would turn into a deceitful and arrogant smirk. She was far from the kind of woman whom I thought she was.

The Charlotte that I knew was a hardworking, naive and pure person yet the Charlotte in these memories was a scheming and unscrupulous person.

Amidst all the revelations that I've seen about Charlotte, something seemed to have caught my attention.

Maria Lily Burnsworth

From what I remember, she was the fiancée of that Hamilton brat, Louis Hamilton. I couldn't help but sigh in sympathy as I get bits of information of her death on each lifetime. The causes of her death were unreasonable and sporadic.

Was she such a vile person to be always slain by the grim reaper?

While having such thoughts, I felt my consciousness being sucked out into the darkness. When I opened my eyes, the white ceiling welcomed my eyes and the smell of disinfectant invaded my nose.

"You're finally awake!" I heard a woman's voice cried in glee from my bedside.

When I turned my head towards my side, I saw my mother and older brother with expressions of relief.

"You really should be mindful of your health," my older brother said as he rose from his seat and walked towards my hospital bed. "Mom almost had a heart attack from too much worry when she heard you fainted."

"Shush you!" My mother glared at my older brother. "It's Hannibal's first time to faint in his 18 years of existence! I couldn't believe that my monstrous healthy son would faint from fatigue!"

I chuckled at my mother's ridiculous words.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked in a hoarse voice, making my mother hastily pour a glass of water and gave it to me to hydrate my parched throat.

"You were asleep for 3 days," this time it was the voice of my father as he entered the ward.

He was still clad in his military uniform exhibiting an imposing and authoritative aura.

"I've told you many times to stay away from that Logan tramp!" my father growled as my mother and my brother immediately tried to calm him down.

My father hated the idea of me seeing Charlotte because he never liked the Logan family. According to him, the Logan family was manipulative and opportunistic. I've done some research and I couldn't deny that what he said was true. However, my blindness in love made me accept Charlotte by thinking of her as an individual far different from her family members.

I thought she was different, that she was the only clean person amidst the dirty business of her family. The memories that I've dreamt made me realize that the Charlotte I'm seeing is an illusion to lure me into submission.

"I'm sorry father, I've learned my lesson and shall stay away from her from now on," I spoke in a decisive tone making everybody in the room shock beyond words.

"Prove that through your actions," my father said as he looked at me in disbelief.

I nodded in agreement and promised myself to never associate with Charlotte.

The day that I went back to school, I talked with Charlotte and ended everything before we could even start the relationship that I once longed for.

I almost lost my resolve when she cried and beg for my love. Fortunately, I witnessed how she ran to another man's arms just less than half an hour after I talked with her.

Louis Hamilton was now her target.

As I watched from afar, she spoke sweet and loving words on how she said that her heart was never mine and everything was a farce to make Louis Hamilton jealous.

"A total fake," I muttered in agony and disappointment.

Deep inside me, I was relieved that I felt like I just dodged a bullet. 

___________________________

A/N:

Yes, the 'important' boys will have their POVs (^_^ )

Please leave a like to fuel my motivation. LOL