31. Last Wish

A/N: 

This is a continuation of Hannibal's POV. ENJOY!

---------------------------------------------------------------

As I was mourning and at the same time celebrating, I saw a tiny figure not far from where Louis and Charlotte were talking.

It was Maria Lily Burnsworth.

I thought she would lash out at Louis and Charlotte but she did not. She merely let a few drops of tears roll down her rosy cheeks and retreated with a downcast figure.

According to my memories, she would become a bully because of her jealousy. Her misconducts would lead her to be condemned by, not just the school, even to the aristocratic circle.

This made me curious on how she would tread in this problem with her fiancé.

For some reason, I started to observe her everyday life in school. It even came to the point that when she would go out during weekends, I would also observe her from a safe distance. Part of me was a little embarrassed because I was acting like a stalker. However, my embarrassment was overpowered by my curiosity.

She was different from my impression of her. I thought she would be arrogant because even if she is an illegitimate child, it's an undeniable fact that she came from the wealthiest family but she was far from that. Maria Lily Burnsworth was modest and a little low on self-esteem. Her friends were her only two classmates and she would always keep her head down from the jeers that other students would throw at her.

She's too pitiful.

Something within me pushes me to go to her side and offer her a helping hand.

Help her on what?

It's good to help but I don't have a valid reason to approach her.

Won't it creep her out if a stranger would suddenly talk to her and say, "Be strong! I'll support and protect you!"

Yeah... I would definitely sound like a guidance counsellor who only adds more problems than help.

My head started to hurt as I try to think of ways on how to approach Maria. Suddenly, I heard a splash of water and when I looked at the direction of the sound.

There she was, drenched with water. Then came the snickers of three girls.

"Oh sorry Miss Maria, I didn't see you there," a voice devoid of remorse but filled with mock resounded in my ears followed by those vomit-inducing giggles.

Maria was silent. She merely stood still as her small hands gripped her skirt. The students who weren't so far just stood on the side line like watching a good comedy.

Another girl spoke, "No need to apologize to a person whose existence is a mistake. It should be her who should apologize for being alive."

"True! Sir Louis is so unfortunate to be engaged with a dirty blood like her," the third one added.

Something inside me snapped.

"Aah!!!" All three girls screamed in shock as they hastily evade the drizzling water that was directed at them.

"Who the f*ck did that?!" One of the girls shouted as they all turned to the direction where the water came from.

"Eek!" They all sounded like pigs that got slapped on the butt as they discovered me with a garden hose in my hands.

"Apologies, I was trying to water the lilies but you were stepping on one so might as well include the three of you," I said in an indifferent and cold voice as I glared at the three girls.