chapter fifteen

C A L E B 

I was out of it for the entire week that followed after the incident with me and Matthew had taken place. I could barely focus during my lectures - which was nothing new - I couldn't focus during work and managed to mess up at least five orders and got threatened to be fired if I didn't get my shit together, and I was in no mood to respond to Matthew's texts. 

And if Mateo's music had kept me up for an hour or two, this whole friend-zone incident had managed to keep me up for days on end. 

Eventually, I did end up getting over it after concluding that he had probably just misunderstood what I was trying to say. I even convinced myself that I was a brave boy for even speaking out about my feelings like that and promised myself that I would try again a little later.

It was around half past two in the morning and I had stayed up the entire night studying and memorizing a few notes from the previous class' lectures. When I was satisfied with my performance, I stretched out my limbs and decided to get some rest. Which was when I noticed that there was no music playing like it usually would've been. 

And even though I would never like to admit it, it concerned me. 

So instead of falling asleep and appreciating that godly opportunity which I would probably never receive again, I knelt on my bed and pressed my ears up against the wall, hoping I could figure out what was going on. 

Creepy, I know. But don't act like you haven't stalked your crush on Facebook for at least two hours. I mean, who even uses Facebook? Now that's creepy.

For the first few minutes, I could barely hear anything. And then I heard his voice. He sounded like he was talking - no, arguing - with someone over the phone. By the minute, he was raising his voice and I could sense his growing frustration. 

"Listen, I told you that I want nothing to do with you. Leave me alone!"

He fell silent for a moment before continuing. 

"Now you're pretending to be worried? Where were you when I-"

He lowered his voice halfway through his sentence and I couldn't hear him any longer. I stayed in my position for a little longer, though - hoping that he would raise his voice again soon so I could get the gist of what was going on. But he never did. 

So, I fell back on my bed with a sigh, staring up at the ceiling. Which was when I heard a crash from the other side of the wall followed by a frustrated groan. Shit, he must be really upset with whoever that was on the phone. 

I chewed on my lower lip and waited for him to start playing his God forbidden music. Which was kind of strange because I felt like I had been hoping for it to happen. But that time never came. And surprisingly, even though the entire apartment was dead silent - I didn't get a wink of sleep that night.