[2] death sentence

SILVER FELT A PARALYZING SENSATION RUN THROUGHOUT her entire body, she couldn't move or speak. She prayed that somehow her ears had fooled her into thinking she heard her name.

But when she heard Effie Trinket repeat the name Silver D'Alessio she knew very well it wasn't a sick joke by her mind, it was the cold hard reality that she was confronted with.

One by one, heads turned to stare and now making a run for it was out of the question. Silver refused to make eye contact with anyone, even her family. She didn't want to get that hopeless look of pity she saw every year whenever some poor kid got chosen.

Normally it was some tall well built kids, who seemed terrified but couldn't let anyone know that. They walked with a sense of confidence toward the stage though their faces told a whole different story and puffed their chest out in an intimating manner as Effie Trinket called for a round of applause.

Looking back at those previous reapings, Silver had no idea how they did it, how they acted so confident and proud to represent District 4 knowing she was awaiting a gruesome death at the hands of some tribute who had no other choice.

The crowd slowly dispersed and made a narrow path, allowing for Silver to easily walk through. Her breath hitched in her throat as she finally got her feet to start moving again and walked past the crowd, averting her gaze from anyone else's and stared down at the ground.

Anyone could be able to tell she was terrified, no, horrified. Her facial expression alone let everyone know she wasn't ready to meet her death so fast. But then again, is anyone?

Regardless of all the fear built up inside Silver at the moment and continued to grow by the minute, she couldn't let anyone see it. For Silver knew better then anyone, fear could easily turn to weakness, and weakness was the very last thing she would need going into her own death sentence.

She refused to give the Capitol that satisfaction of knowing they'd successfully made someone lost all hope. Walking toward the stage, Silver wiped the fearful expression from her face and what seemed like a scared little girl for a second was now someone who looked fearless and confident in every step she took.

"Lovely, lovely" Effie Trinket beamed with so excitement that Silver had to resist the urge to scrunch up her nose in disgust. Instead, she kept a straight face and allowed for the woman to guide her over to the middle of the stage. If there was one thing Silver hated, it was being the center of attention.

She wasn't used to so many eyes focused on her and the mental reminder that from here on out it'll only get worse didn't help in the least bit either. "Now, let's give our female tribute a big round of applause!" Effie trilled and within minutes the entire square exploded with applause, but Silver felt as if there was something more to all the clapping.

The applause told her that they were almost proud of her, proud that they had someone that could actually stand a chance, that they could root for. Effie was able to gather everyone's attention once again and went up to the mic. "Now, time for the boys"

As Effie dug her hand in the glass bowl for the boys, Silver took it as an opportunity to look around the makeshift stage. It was in that moment that her eyes caught the gaze of someone else's. If she wasn't so determined to not show any emotions, Silver would've smiled at the sight of Finnick Odair.

Instead, she exchanged a look with him, which he returned. A sense of relief was able to relax her heart that was beating quickly and hard against her rip cage. At least with Finnick as her mentor, it increased her chances a bit. In addition to Finnick, Mags Flanagan was also there, sitting beside him silently with her hands resting in her lap.