[4] the capitol

SUNLIGHT STREAMED IN THROUGH THE SMALL WINDOW above Silver's bed, her eyes slowly fluttered open to meet the beige ceiling she was so fixated on last night.

She moved her warm thick blanket over her head in an attempt to the avoid the sunshine but it just seemed pointless now.

The events from yesterday slowly began to creep back into her mind and she couldn't avoid them anymore. Silver knew damn well what she was walking into and she wasn't going to take it head on with doubts and worries.

Silver figured that today Finnick would begin coaching them, although she thought he should spend more with Reese, seeing as he needed a mentor more then she did.

Sleeping in wasn't an option anymore, so Silver got up and took a refreshing warm shower, she couldn't remember the last time she had bathed in water that wasn't cold or salty. After putting on a black tank top and dark green pants, she left for the dining area half expecting no one to be awake yet. She was wrong however and found Finnick along with Reese engaged in an interesting conversation while they ate breakfast.

"What about the middle? The place with all the weapons and supplies?" She heard Reese ask curiously as she sat across from him. "No, don't go for the cornucopia, as tempting as it is it's a death trap. Weapons won't be very useful during the first few days, keeping yourself alive is more important, find high ground and try to find a water source" Finnick told him.

"What are we talking about?" Silver chimed in, causing them both to tilt their heads to look at her. "Finnick's giving me some tips" Reese replied cheerfully as he ate his scrambled eggs.

"I figured I'd start giving him some advice" Finnick explained to Silver, who only nodded. She avoided his eyes, which seemed to be stuck on her for a while and ate her breakfast that consisted of eggs, sausages, and bacon.

As much as she detested the Capitol, she had to give it to them, they had delicious food. Of course they did, and most districts could barely scrap together enough food to feed one person. "Silver" Finnick's voice was able to pull her back out of a daydreaming state, Silver blinked as she adjusted to the light from the window that was beaming down on her face. "Yeah?" She met Finnick's familiar gaze for the first time that morning.

"I just was gonna ask if there were any weapons besides throwing knives that you're good with" He said. Silver shrugged, knives were her main method of catching fish, unless using nets to herd the fish into small pools where she could capture them counted. "No, not really" She answered breaking eye contact again in favor of staring down at the plate of eggs in front of her. "What about tridents or spears? I know your brothers use them a lot" Finnick continued.

Tridents and spears weren't something she liked to use very often, they were heavy to carry and required more strength to use, not that Silver didn't have any muscles, she was quite athletic and physically built. Throwing knives on the other hand were much lighter and something she could easily hook to the belt on her waist so they were ready to use.

"Fallon tried teaching me how to use a trident one time, I think I'm alright" She responded lightly, picking at the eggs on her plate with a bronze fork. "That's good, I could teach you how to use a trident" Finnick told her with a tight smile, but Silver could easily see right through it.

There were many things Finnick Odair was good at, faking things was not one of them. She had to give him credit though, he was trying to lighten the mood despite the fact that every second they passed they were getting closer to the games, closer to their fight for survival.

"Okay" Silver agreed, she wasn't as interested in learning how to wield a trident as she seemed. In any given scenario, her throwing knives could cause just as much damage alone then she could do with a trident, plus she wasn't fond of the idea of carrying something so heavy while in the arena.