4. Tanjiro and Hashimoto

Tanjiro and Tsukiko spent two more days together after the death of the mutated demon. Then they separated to prove they could pass the final selection on their own.

Tsukiko did not see Tanjiro anymore until the end of the final selection. She was glad to see that he was still alive. Apart from them, there were only three others. Including th boy from the side of the road. She stood close to Tanjiro so the boy would not approach her. Tsukiko didn't know if she had enough energy left in her to pry him off of her hands.

'There were so many of us but now only five are here,' Tsukiko thought to herself. The other two who were not herself, Tanjiro, and the boy who was sobbing on the side of the road; were a boy and a girl.

The boy had a long scar across half of his face. The girl had a butterfly hair ornament and was just smiling. Their eyes met for just a moment and Tsukiko could see the girl's indecisive nature.

They did not stand around for long before the siblings from the beginning of the selection appeared again. They began explaining what would be occurring now that they were demon slayers.

Everything went smoothly until they were informed that they would only be picking the ore for their nichirin swords today, not receiving them. The swords would then take fifteen days to complete.

"Are you kidding me?" A boy with a scar across his face cried out. Based on his outbursts he had when the siblings were talking, he was clearly not interested in anything but the sword. Why were there those who just caused trouble?

"You will now be assigned your own Kasugai Crow. " One of the siblings stated before a group of crows come down to rest upon their arms. Tsukiko admired the beauty of hers while the siblings explained the purpose of the birds. They would be used for communicating amongst the demon slayers.

The boy with the long scar shook his crow off it his arm. He began raving about being given the crow over the sword. Why was even even so focused on the sword?

Tsukiko quit admiring her crow at his outburst. The boy marched over to the siblings. He punched one and snatched a handful of white hair.

"Hey!" Tsukiko cried out at his actions. "Don't touch her!"

He held her tight by her hair and pulled her close to his face. He was demanding a Nichirin sword immediately. The angry boy then started shaking the poor girl. Tsukiko was taken by surprised at the violence of the boy. He was supposed to protect people, wasn't he?

Tsukiko had enough of this boy's nonsense and stepped forward to pry him off the girl. Tanjiro's arm jutted out to stop her. He did not want Tsukiko to get involved with the boy. Tanjiro would not have it if the crazed boy turned his aggression into her.

A second passed before Tanjiro was grabbing onto the arm of the boy.

"Let go of her!" His grasp was firm, Tsukiko could see that from where she stood. "I'll break your arm if you don't!"

"Who are you?" The boy looked at Tanjiro in question before sneering, "Why don't you try it!"

Try he did. Tanjiro's grip tightened even more and continued to do so. From the way his hand shifted when the boy cried out Tsukiko knew it was broken. She admired Tanjiro's strength and standing up to the aggressive boy.

"Can we continue now?" Tsukiko called out to no one in particular. She was exhausted and wanted to return to Hashimoto's home. He had promised her a delicious meal for when she returned.

"Yes," said the dark-haired sibling. "Come forward and choose the ore for your sword."

Tsukiko moved up to the table holding the ore. She had never seen raw ore before. How would she even know what to choose? It was impossible.