6. Nezuko

Tsukiko struggles in the grasp of the demon but its grip is like iron. She kicks her legs out to strike the demon but freezes when she sees the green patterned kimono.

'The demon has already captured another girl!' Tsukiko realized. She needed to get free to save them both without hurting the demon's victim.

The tight grip crushing her throat mixed with the thin air of the swamp caused black dots to swim in Tsukiko's vision. It took the girl a fraction of a second to realize that she was going to lose consciousness soon. If she didn't do something fast it would be the end of them both.

A nichirin blade came from above and stabbed through the arm holding her. The demon let go of her neck with a screech. In a quick motion Tsukiko drew her blade, slicing off the arm holding the other girl.

Tsukiko grabbed the fabric of the girl's kimono and threw her ahead of her to the opening in front of them. The girl was pulled out of the swamp to safety.

A violent gasp ripped through the night as Tsukiko broke the surface of the swamp. She pulled herself out of the hole and scrambled away as fast as she could.

"Tsukiko!" Tanjiro shouts in surprised at the sight of her. He did not think that the other demon slayer was showing nor that it would be her.

Tanjiro gave the girl to another boy that was with him and helped Tsukiko to her feet.

"I'm here to help you," Tsukiko's voice was raspy from the demons hold on her. The soreness of her throat told her that she was going to bruise.

It hurt for her to breathe. Her throat burned with every intake. Tsukiko frowned at herself. She did not want to cease her breathing technique. She would have to get used to the pain.

"Hold on to the girl," Tsukiko told the boy, "stay close to us and we can protect you." He nodded back to her in confirmation.

Tanjiro and Tsukiko were ready to take in the demons. When he sprinted in one direction Tsukiko followed him. She would protect him.

Tsukiko's eyes saw the sign of the demon emerging before Tanjiro did.

Three black pools on the ground began to form beneath the boy's foot. There was more than one demon. There were three of them!

Tanjiro's sword was poised to strike but he would not be able to get all of them. Tsukiko thought quickly and changed her footing so she faced away from him. She knew that grip Tanjiro had on his blade would be strong.

Tsukiko slammed both of her hands down on the flat of Tanjiro's sword. The blade was stuck firm between her palms. Using every bit of strength in her body, Tsukiko threw Tanjiro away from the demons.

Pushing off the ground, Tsukiko propelled herself into the air as a cluster of hands reached for her. The grip on her sword tightened and her teeth clenched as she prepared to strike the demons rising from the ground.

'Night Breathing. Eighth Form!' Tsukiko thought to herself. 'Full Moon Flash!'

She brought her sword down on the demons. Bright light filled the area surrounding them. The demons were injured, but she had missed their vital points due to snatching Tanjiro away to safety.

Tsukiko jumped out of their range before they could heal. She stood next to Tanjiro and the other boy. There was no sight of the demons yet, but they could be anywhere.

"One demon has split itself into three!" Tanjiro told her.

Tsukiko looked to him and nodded. She was not sure how he knew but his eyes showed an incapability to tell false truth. She trusted him with her life.