Chapter 15

Tsukki stepped off the bus, taking off his headphones and allowing them to rest around his neck. He studied the area warily, cracking his fingers and casting a look over at Coach Ukai who was talking to Daichi.

"OW!" 

Yama smashed into the back of him, wincing as he backed up.

"Shit, I'm sorry-" Tsukki apologised but Yama shrugged it off and kept going. He'd gotten used to being clumsy it seemed. 

Tsukki turned back around and realised everyone had stopped walking. The whole Nekoma team was lined up in front of them, with Kuroo giving Tsukki a distasteful smirk. For once Kenma wasn't playing on a device. He was side-eyeing Kuroo with a blank look on his face as he followed the third years gaze to Tsukki. He stared uncomfortably at the blond-haired boy before turning his attention to Hinata. 

Tsukki stepped forward to line up with the rest of his team, Yama (who was glaring at Kuroo) by his side.

The coach had finally let Daichi go and the captain said something inaudible to the rooster head himself. The boy nodded and just like that the other team split, strutting off.

"We haven't got long before the game," Suga announced, "How about we warm up with some more practice?" 

They all nodded and followed the vice-captain forward, navigating the new area. Finally they found the gym they were looking for and confidently entered, finding Nekoma already inside.

They walked to their side of the court, beginning to stretch and grabbing balls to practice with. 

As they were making their way there Yama approached Daichi cautiously, "Can I talk to you?"

The third year raised an eyebrow, scoffing slightly "Really?"

"Please Daichi?"

"Fine. Make it quick."

He let himself be dragged away from the group.

"Okay," Tadashi inhaled lightly "What's going on between you and Sugawara?"

To his surprise, Daichi didn't protest. He let out a deep breath and then began to tell Yamaguchi everything. He recounted his tale about when they had broken up-well not exactly I mean...

"We never really labelled ourselves" Daichi muttered "But when I thought of him I imagined my boyfriend. I don't know if it was the same for him."

Then the story changed to last night.

"We were the last in the locker rooms. I lashed out at Suga, asked him why-" his voice cracked and Yama felt a twinge of guilt. He hadn't meant to make him so vulnerable. He turned his head and saw both Tsukki and Sugawara watching them.

"Why he'd ended things. He..." the captain leant against the wall, brushing a hand through his hair, "He told me he loved me. And he didn't-he didn't think I loved him back." Daichi swallowed.

"And do you?"

"Yes! Yes, of course I do we just never...there was never a proper time..."

"So did you tell him that in the locker rooms?"

Sawamura didn't respond.

Yama leant forward and put a hand on his shoulder "Trust me. You need to tell him you love him or you'll lose him."

"But what if he doesn't want me anymore."

Tadashi laughed, shaking his head. His eyes almost began to water but he didn't know why.

"You don't know how lucky you are Daichi. You have a boy who would do anything for you because he loves you more than words can say and you're just letting him go? Without even telling him? If I had someone like that I'd do anything for them, and hold onto them forever."

He cast a look over at Tsukki who wasn't watching them anymore.

"You do have someone like that," Daichi mumbled but Yama didn't hear him. 

"Look this might be some terrible advice from me but I think you have to do it now. Otherwise you'll be playing poorly the whole game. Trust me, I've watched enough stupid tv dramas where the girl breaks up with the guy right before the big game and he flunks it. You're not just our captain, you're our role model. The team needs you."

Daichi took a shaky breath before nodding "Yes-yes you're right."

He gave a small smile that Yama returned "Thank you Yamaguchi."

"Anytime.

"Oh," he added just before he left, "and you know what you said about telling someone you like them?"

"Yeah?"

"Maybe you should take your own advice."

Daichi turned around and walked back to the group. Yama stared at him. How could he know? He had never been that obvious...right? 

You know what-fuck feelings, fuck everyone.

I'm gonna tell him.

"Tadashi?" It was Tsukki, walking up to him "Everything okay?"

"Yes," He gulped "Yes, everything's fine."

"Well we're gonna start warming up, do you wanna-" He started but Yama cut him off.

"Can I talk to you?" Yamaguchi asked.

"Uh, you already are?" 

"Look I need to tell you something really important and-"

Wait. No. What if he told Tsukki and he rejected him? And then he messed the whole match up? He couldn't put him at that risk.

Tsukki was staring at him, an almost concerned look in his eyes.

"Um-Don't worry I'll tell you later."

"You sure?"

"More than sure." He grabbed his arm and lead him back towards the group.

They got back just in time to hear Daichi asking to talk to Suga. Tanaka kept glancing over to look at them, making sure everything was okay.

Suga was on the verge of tears. 

Yamaguchi just hoped everything was okay.

***

Tsukishia felt eyes on him and turned around. Kenma was standing there, chin tilted up

"We're starting in five minutes. You might wanna tell your team." Kenma told him sourly. He went to walk away but Tsukishima called his name.

"What?" He asked turning around, a rather blank expression on his face.

"Can you ask Kuroo to back off? I have enough problems to deal with without him messing everything up. I'm sorry for being rude when we last met if that helps anything."

To his surprise Kenma nodded, and looked back over his shoulder at where the Nekoma captain was standing "Good luck. I wish your team the best for when we thrash you." 

He walked off and Tsukki smirked. It was so obvious he was jealous...whatever.

"Five minutes!" He shouted to the rest of his team, wondering why Nekoma didn't just do the same. Yamaguchi nodded in response, and Tsukki let his gaze linger on the other for much too long

I wonder what he wants to tell me...no, don't get your hopes up. Focus Tsukishima.

Just as they finished warming up the referee blew his whistle. Nekoma and Karasuno lined up on opposite sides of the court, fired up despite the early start to the day. 

"Thank you for the game!"