Chapter Twenty-Six

Mystery.

~

I'm about to ask Thor for a redo, have him try again and hit the fuck out of me with his car.

You clearly do not handle learning new things well.

An uncomfortable silence engulfs Cade and I, neither daring to speak nor move from the vehicle as the previous conversation weighs heavy.

My hand has been on Cade's forearm, rubbing circles as he continues to stare through the fogged window. Thoughts consume him; Memories haunt him as though this was the first time he has been able to speak on the subject of Levi.

Maybe that's why it remained a mystery so long, the inability to discuss such a painful subject.

Regret, a feeling that is unchangeable. Similar to how you'll never be able to change the past, the haunting realization of finality engulfs you completely.

Can never change the past, but the present will constantly remind you of the unchangeable fate

The feeling of loss, the feeling that a person has merely slipped through the cracks of a strong bond, falling deeper into a world of no return.

A tragedy.

A play filled with calamity, enticing the audience as the storyline shows promise. Though the ending reveals that everything was merely a wasted effort.

The concept that life is a whirlwind of disappointment, everything seeming pointless when everything 'falls apart'.

People demand realism, expressing that everything is melodramatic if the show is nothing but a fairy-tale.

For a tragedy is only labeled as such because it is reality.

Stop thinking. You're going to break your brain.

The eerie night creeps upon us, the storm finally dissipating as we are engulfed in a sea of emotions. Both a dire squall and a choppy ocean are difficult to navigate, but victory is felt when you manage through.

That is, if you get to the other end.

I shift on the leather seat, my head turning slightly as I observe the broken Cade. "I'm sorry," He turns to face me, my words snapping him from his thoughts, "For, you know, all of it." I manage to say, never being one to be wonderful with words.

My thoughts are profound, almost too wise for my own good; But my spoken words, a jumbled mess.

I think too much, my brain nearly exploding from the vast amount of thoughts. Though, I never am able to transcribe those thoughts into spoken words.

Good. You'd confuse everyone.

Cade tilts his chin down, a sad smile forming on his lips, "You really don't know how much you mean to other people. Do you?" My face falls as a result of his words, not expecting this response in the slightest.

I let out a shaky exhale, my eyes narrowing onto the damp pavement, "Never really thought about it that much," I lie through my teeth, a scoff coming from Cade as he sees through me like glass.

That is all you think about, besides the dumb shit that doesn't matter.

Or, does i-

We both continue to look out onto the road, Cade's arm still extended on the wheel as the only sound is our breathing, "Well," He breaks the silence, "You think more than anyone I know so, I know you're full of shit."

I mean, Christ. The brothers from Asgard know me better than I know myself, figuring me out with the blink of an eye as I attempt to shield them from knowledge.