Chapter Forty-Nine

Time is running out.

~

Red's POV | Present Day

~

Promise.

~

Levi looks like he's seen a ghost, which is pretty fucking ironic.

Never in my life have I been more confused, the bustling fire and the walking-dead boy giving me a traumatizing headache that will be present for days.

Seriously, I'm not sure why this was the life the universe had planned for me, but it was a hell lot easier when I was getting mentally tormented by my parents.

Shit, it was easier when Auggie and I were almost homeless. All the paper-cut bills that haunted me like the poltergeist, or the booming locks that would stir my empty stomach ajar.

Take me back to the simple days.

When I was sitting in the hut of nightmares, Cade rushed in as though someone stole all of the precious diamonds he doesn't have, or his smile. Freaking out as Mary attempted to calm him down, I rang Mia in hopes she could help in her aggressive fashion.

She threw a pillow at his head, snapped him back into reality, and momentarily tamed his wild self.

But now, all of the efforts were completely useless.

I keep my hand around Harry's forearm, trying to lure his manic self back so we don't have a public brawl. I'm sure something will happen later-on, but there's a fucking fire.

We all stare at Mary, her hand shaking as she looks from the phone to Levi. "Why is Jensen calling me?" She breathes with anxiety, my eyes rolling from the fool Judas. "That bitch," I whisper to myself, Ryder cracking a smile from my hushed words.

Of course, of-fucking-course. Judas, of all damn people, is the one to call during a satanic reunion, interrupting this beautiful bonding session.

"Do not answer that phone, Mary." Levi raises his arm up slightly to keep her from pressing the screen, her cheeks ridding of any prior color. "We've gotta go," He looks beyond her, backing slowly as Cade finally composes himself.

Throwing his hair into the disheveled bun of champions, Cade continues to eye Harry as his lips pursed together, unsure of what to say. "That idiot's fuckin' harmless," He shakes his head, though the look on Levi's face says different. "For real, he's probably just tellin' her 'bout the fire." Makes sense, but also doesn't. He's the manager of Sugar's, I'd assume he would come down to aid or figure this out if he was that worried.

Something's not adding up. Devil's Asshole, nothing's adding up.

Levi, the best friend that was supposedly shot through the chest by Pretty Boy himself, is standing right in front of me. Not to mention, Ryder is standing by his side as though he's his sidekick.

My brain is in complete shambles, mushing together in a soon-to-be shut down as I'm attempting to remain composed for Harry's sake. The initial shock is very much visible, but it's slowly turning into irreversible rage as he's about to slander everybody in sight. Rip apart anything with a pulse, his demeanor is darkening by the minute.