//4//

"Did you see the new girl today?", Hope said, setting her things beside Penelope's. They were seniors, which meant that their third period was a study period, and they were taking full advantage of it- well, at least Penelope was. Her best friend had been gifted with a photographic memory. In turn, she didn't have to study as hard as Penelope had to. In fact, while Penelope was tackling the review packet from her history teacher, Hope had taken out a little bottle of dark purple nail polish and was touching up the edges of her fingernails. "Not the blonde one, but the brunette." Penelope swallowed hard. Had she noticed her? Well, besides the fact that the girl was all she could think about for the last three hours since she had run into her, no. She hadn't noticed her at all. "No, I haven't seen her yet.", she lied, flipping the page of her book. "The blonde one is in my bio class. I think her name is Elizabeth or something. Raf's already all over her, but I'd be dim if I hadn't expected that." "Ew. God, can guys get any more disgusting?", Hope said, rolling her eyes. "Anyway, here's what I know so far: the blonde is named Elizabeth- but you already knew that- and the brunette one- the rude one- is named Josette. They're sisters; Well, actually, they're twins. They must be juniors because the only senior that has bio is you and freshies and Sophomores aren't allowed to take that class. Oh, also, they're from California- San Francisco to be exact." "Jesus, Hope, you learned all of that in three hours?" Hope grinned. "I have my sources, Pen my dear. I also know that they're Geminis. So, good luck with that." "Why would I care about their astrological sign?", Penelope asked, taking a sip of her water. "Because everyone knows you have a weakness for brown eyes and a fiery spirit, Penelope." Penelope nearly choked but managed not to.

"You think I have a crush on her or something? Dude, I barely know her. Besides, she doesn't seem to be the warmest person in the world", Penelope reminded her, dispelling the accusation. "I think you've been reading too many of your sister's fairytale stories. Which, by the way, are totally sexist and support the idea that women can only be "saved" by a man." Hope sighed. "Yeah, because that's the message a five-year-old is going to get from a colorful book about magic and unicorns." Hope shook her head at her friend. "Stop trying to change the subject with your feminism, Pen. I know you think she's at least cute, no?" Penelope gave hope a look of annoyance. "No, I don't. Now can we please focus on our work? I cannot fail this class- my mom will kill me." Hope laughed. "If you think that 'no' sounded convincing, just know that it didn't. But, sure, get some studying done, Miss Brainiac. But this conversation isn't over." Penelope flipped the page of the book, biting her lip nervously.

"Yeah, I didn't expect it to be."

_________________________________________________________________________

Penelope sat down at the desk in her last period class, practically collapsing into the seat. She was beyond tired, and it was only the first day. She'd had homework for almost every class, and she hoped that this was the teacher's way of making up for the summer break instead of a normal occurrence. Then again, that was the price she'd have to pay if she wanted to make up her credits by the end of the year. If she didn't, she'd be held back, and she was not about to spend another year trapped at Mystic Falls when she could be starting the rest of her life already. She made a mental note to look into the student tutor program, and to remember to call Kaleb and see what he had in stock. If she had any hope of getting through the first week of school without losing her mind, she definitely wasn't going to be doing so soberly. Students began filing in around her, and the teacher began the standard "first-day" routine- introducing herself, explaining the syllabus, handing out their first assignment- when the door swung open and the attention of the room was turned towards it.

It was the same girl Penelope had been hoping to see again- the girl she knew now to be Josette. She was 20 minutes late and looking wildly unamused about it. She gave the teacher the same attention she would a buzzing insect, bypassing the rows of students to take the very last seat in the room- the one right next to Penelope's. "Ms. Saltzman, I expect my students to come to my classroom with two things- prompt arrival and an eagerness to learn about literature.", Mrs. Smith warned her, hand placed firmly on her hip. The students around them giggled, causing Penelope to become embarrassed on behalf of her new seatmate. "I expect you to come fulfilling both of those requirements if you wish to pass my class." Josie forced a polite smile, but Penelope could see her fist curled up under the desk. "I'm so sorry- it won't happen again.", she apologized, satisfying the teacher. As soon as she turned around, however, Josette rolled her eyes and began doodling little flowers on the back of her hand with an ink pen. Penelope attempted to focus on her tasks, but she couldn't help watching Josette out of the corner of her eye. As much as she believed that Josette would benefit from an attitude adjustment, she had to admit that the brunette intrigued her. There was something special about the girl, though she couldn't put her finger on what. Maybe it was the fact that she was a new student, and she was curious. Maybe it was the way that the girl seemed to give no fucks about anything. Or, just maybe, it was the fact that Penelope could see so much of herself in Josie, and that made her a tiny bit worried.

When the class came to an end, Josette was the first person to leave. She was out the door before the bell had even finished ringing, not allowing Penelope to say even one word. Penelope picked up her own things, but as she was closing her notebook a piece of paper fluttered out from between the pages. Penelope looked at the note in confusion; She hadn't remembered writing or placing, a folded paper in her notebook. She unfolded it, reading the messily scrawled writing inside.

The next time you'd like to stare at me during class, maybe try being a little more discreet about it. - Josie.