Chapter Twelve - Her Voice

AN: here's chapter twelve! I hope you enjoy and sorry for the delay 💜 I'll also announce that next month, I'll be going on a trip with my family so updates will be slower. Sorry in advance 🙏🏻

Everything was going too fast. One moment Sirius was there, talking to him and to whoever was on the phone, and then he was gone.

Then Remus was escorted to the servants' quarters by Sirius' bodyguard, which raised a lot of eyebrows once he arrived, but the servant didn't care enough about that at the moment.

You're coming with me on the trip.

To where? When? And why?

Remus knew the answer to the last question; he knew that, without Sirius in Grimmauld, Bellatrix's team will most likely strike, something Remus was incredibly terrified of.

It was the same reason he sent his own bodyguard to escort him.

"Excuse me, I—"

"I know you have a lot of questions. I'll come back for you once Sirius finishes his business. You have my word." Was the only response Remus received from Nicholas before leaving him alone with his queries.

And his peeved coworkers.

With nothing else to do, Remus sat on his bed and began to write a letter for his mother. It was a good way to distract his mind from... whatever was happening.

Mom,

I hope you're doing well. Sirius' mailman arrived really early to deliver your letter to me. I was surprised. The others though... they think I'm just using Sirius' hospitality for my own gains and that's not the only thing they say, but I don't think it's appropriate of me to write those things down. I think you get the idea from that, right mom?

A lot has been going on, too much, and I'm just... me. I'm alone against so many powerful people and I'm no match. Hard work isn't enough here. I don't know how much I can take.

I wish I could hear your voice. I wish I could tell you everything. This paper isn't long enough.

I miss you,
Remus Lupin

Remus broke down in tears and sobbed quietly into the palm of his hand. There were eyes and whispers around him, but his muffled cries and the throbbing of his head were louder. He must look pathetic, being the fabled servant of the eldest Black, but as much as he tried... he couldn't stop the tears.

"Remus?" It was Mary, looking very worried as she knelt in front of his bed and placed a warm hand on his shoulder, "What happened? Are you okay?"

Remus wiped his eyes, "I'm okay. Just..." He looked at the damp letter on his hands and Mary understood—to a degree.

"Oh Remus..." She hugged him, arms squeezing him tight.

"I miss her too, Remus," Said Peter, fidgeting with his fingers by Mary's side, not knowing what else to do, "I wish I could talk to her..."

"Yeah. Me too," When Mary released him, Remus stood up and cleaned his face again, "I'm alright, really. Thanks guys, but I... should get back to work."

"Did you talked with her?" Mary whispered.

Remus bit his lips and shook his head, "I was going to but...," He looked away, "...something came up."

Mary gaped her mouth to respond when someone came up to them with loud steps.

"Look at you. So pathetic," Said Emma with a hand on her mouth, laughing sadistically between her words, "You miss mommy too? You're even more pathetic than this rat here." She pointed at Peter, who hid behind Mary.