Chapter 4: Meeting the Family

Virgil's POV

There goes my hope for beating at least some of them here. Roman opens the trunk while I get my backpack, I then head to the trunk and take my suitcase from him. Together, we got up to the door which was opened before we could knock. Standing there is the same woman that greeted Roman.

"Hi, I'm Maria, Roman's mother. I've been so excited to meet you ever since Roman told us you exist. Mainly because he refuses to tell us anything about you, including your name." She says, shooting a glare at Roman.

"Mom, this is my boyfriend, Virgil, he goes to school with me." Roman says, completely ignoring his mom's previous glare.

It feels so weird to be introduced like that.Oh great they're both staring at me what do I say? "Um, hi, nice to meet you Mrs. Prince." Seriously? That's the best I could come up with? God I really am screwed.

She smiles in a motherly way, "It's nice to finally meet you, Virgil. Come in, come in everyone else is already unpacked."

"That's because they were already in Florida." Roman mumbled bitterly. So Roman is scared of talking back to his mom, noted.

The delighted screeches of a couple children greeted us as they entered the cabin. It seemed like Roman's entire family was sitting down in the living room area right next to the entryway. The screeches were soon followed up by a trio of kids running towards us, two immediately knocking Roman down with a tackle hug.

The other, slightly smaller boy just stared at me."Are you Roro's boyfriend?" Roro? I guess he means Roman, I'll add that to the list of embarrassing nicknames.

This kid's stare is starting to really bother me. "Uh, yeah, I'm Roro's boyfriend." I smirk over at Roman, seeing him preoccupied with the other two.

"You don't sound too sure of that." A teenage girl says from the couch.

Oh shoot I'm already gonna mess this up- "Oh leave him alone, Christine, or I'll have no choice but to defend his honor." Roman interjects proudly. So I guess that's his younger sister then.

Roman's doppelganger, or twin I guess, yells out. "Wait have y'all fucked yet?!" His outburst is met with all of the adults yelling, "REMUS!" He takes a drink of his soda and shrugs, "I was just curious."

By now the other two younger kids had come up to me.

"You don't look like someone Roman would date."

"So you like boys?"

"How'd you two meet?"

"Do you love my cousin?"

Most of their questions were spoken over each other, and I couldn't decide which ones I should answer first, and which ones I didn't have to answer.

"Hey, give him a break, we've had a long drive, so can we at least put our stuff away before the interrogation comes?" Never thought I'd say this, but thank you Roman.

"Alright, but don't take too long." Mrs. Prince said, joining the rest of the family on the couch.

"That's what she said," Remus mumbled, earning a smack from a guy clad in yellow and black.

Leaving the rest of them to argue and generally be confused by Remus, Roman grabs my hand and drags me upstairs. He stops inside a pretty basic room with gray walls. The only furniture inside is a wardrobe, a queen-sized bed, and a nightstand. I set my back down on the bed and wheel my suitcase over to a corner near the outlet.

Roman also sets down his bags, and I pause. "Wait, we're both sleeping in here?" My face goes red at the idea.

He just shrugs nonchalantly, "Well yeah, we're supposed to be dating after all."

"AnD yOU DidN't ThInK tO MeNTiOn tHaT bEfORe?!" I ask, my voice cracking on practically every syllable, but we don't talk about that.

"I kinda figured it was pretty obvious." He said apologetically. "We don't have to kiss in front of them or anything, but we should at least hold hands or hug to make it believable."

I groan, hiding my face in a pillow. "I can't do this."

Time skip brought to you by crippling depression

One by one, all of Roman's family members ask us questions. I generally let Roman answer the questions about our "relationship," knowing he's the better actor. Of course, I have to answer the questions about myself.

"So, how'd you two meet?" Mrs. Prince asked.

Roman quickly came up with a story. "We met on the first day of the school year in art class. I saw how good his drawings were and started a conversation."

Mrs. Prince and Roman's two aunts "awwweee"d at them, "Can we see some of your art, Virgil, if you have any with you?" Jesse asked.

Oh crap. "Yeah, I brought my sketchbook with me, I'll go get it." I awkwardly stand up and go to Roman and I's shared room. My sketchbook is in my backpack, and I grab it out. Why did I agree to show them this? No going back now, I guess. They're all talking when I get back, so I just stand in the entryway for a second, wondering if I should call attention to myself or not.

Thankfully, Roman is the first to notice me, calling out. "Hey, Virge!" I smile a bit, as I return to my spot on the couch next to Roman, who is immediately pushed out of the way by his sister.

"You've already seen his art and we haven't, so move!" She says, shoving him off the couch. The other kids crowd around and I, surprise surprise, start to panic. Roman gives me a reassuring thumbs-up from the ground and I open my sketchbook. The first page is probably the best drawing I've ever made. It's of our friend group, me, Logan, Patton, and Roman. Patton has a plate of cookies, Logan is holding a book, Roman appears to be screaming a Disney song at the top of his lungs, and I'm at the bottom, smirking with my headphones on.

Sasha and Jesse immediately go off about how good it is. The smaller kids have already had their attention drawn away from my art and onto the TV. Evan and Jake applaud. My face heats at all the positive attention, and I just decide to give them my sketchbook to look through. All of the embarrassing or terrible drawings had long since been torn out, so I wouldn't be overly embarrassed by any of them. I moved onto the carpeted floor as they continued to flip through my "amazing" art.

At one, Jake stops them from flipping the page too soon. "Is it just me or does it look like you put more work into your drawing of Roman?" So much for not being embarrassed by any drawings. He flips the sketchbook over so Roman and I can see the drawing he's referring to, and my face only gets warmer. It's a pretty basic picture of Roman doing his signature flourish-thingy, wearing his charming- I mean annoying smile.

Roman replicates the smile from the life-like drawing and leans closer to me. "I never knew that you drew me."

I push his face away, "I drew everyone in our friend group, what did you expect?" I reply, deciding against being overly snarky.

"You two are so cute together." The guy on the end of the couch says, shaking his head. That one's Adam, right? Before I can do a head count to confirm, an ear-piercing scream is heard throughout the house.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

A/N: Welcome to my attempt at a cliffhanger, not that great, but oh well. The majority of this chapter was written at 2 a.m. so if it sucks, that's why.