Chapter 7: The Canoeing Incident

Roman's POV

My mom decided that we'd ride in canoes after dinner, so that it would be more fun in the dark. I whole-heartedly agree that it would be awesome, but Virgil doesn't seem too thrilled. I've told him at least six times that it'll be fine, but he won't calm down. I'm starting to get a little worried for him, I mean what happens if he has a panic attack while we're in the canoe? We'd tip for sure!

"Time for canoes!" Mom calls to everyone not even 20 minutes after dinner.

"Coming!" I shout back, trying to coax Virgil out the door.

"Nope, I am not getting on one of those death traps," he declares, clinging on tighter to the bedside table.

"Come on! It's not that bad! Plus, if we don't leave now, then we'll be late and have to walk out there in the dark all alone!"

This seems to snap Virgil back to reality, because he jumps up suddenly, crying out, "Alone?" before grabbing my hand and rushing us down the stairs.

I laugh a little at his sudden change of mood, all the while I'm blushing madly because he's holding my hand, willingly. I smile at this thought, finally beginning to realize that I wish this "relationship" isn't as fake as it is. Unfortunately, I must suffer being the only one with feelings, because Virgil would never fall for a guy like me, we barely get along back home!

We make our way outside and as soon as we join the group Mom makes a grand speech about safety and what not to do. Then, she adds, "I'd actually like to try something new this year. I think we should all ride with someone we don't really know, and I'd like to ride with Virgil, since I've never met him before." I look over to see Virgil's horrified face. I decide that I should speak up or else Virgil might have a full-blown panic attack.

"Back off, he's mine," I say, holding Virgil defensively. Patton sometimes hugs him to calm him down so I hope it'll work with me.

"True," she says, "But I expect I get to know him better eventually," I look to Virgil to see how he's doing, only to find him clinging to my arm.

I chuckle lightly, then ask, "Are you okay?"

"Only if we ride in the same canoe," he replies, completely serious.

I smile, then nod, "Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way."

We both walk to the same canoe, a bright blue one. We get comfortable and I push us off the land to get us going.

"This is actually pretty nice," Virgil says, looking into the water.

"It is," I agree absentmindedly. I find myself more distracted by Virgil's voice than the scenery though.

"Are you sure it won't tip?" Virgil asks with a worried expression. He continuously asks this even with our life vests. Granted, the life vests don't actually support our entire weight, but enough that a conscious person could reasonably tread water.

"We'll be fine, Virge, I promise I'll keep you safe." Virgil smiles at this and leans over the side slightly to try to look under the lake's murky surface. "That might not be the best idea-" I cut myself off as the boat rocks violently.

Virgil yelps and curls in on himself, expecting the boat to capsize. I don't even notice the fact that he dropped his paddle in the water. He clutches the sides of his head, shaking. Oh crap, panic attack. I set my own paddle down in the boat, slowly turning around. This only makes the boat rock again, just not as harshly as before. It's still enough to only worsen Virgil's state of panic and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't starting to worry too. C'mon Roman, think! If I go over to him, the boat will rock worse, and he'll panic more. But can I really calm him down from the other side of a boat? His breath becomes increasingly ragged and he slumps over, passed out. I almost sigh in relief before I realize his weight is now heavily directed to one side. Before I can call out to my family, I'm thrown into the pitch-black water. Instinctively, I kick up, or at least in the direction my life vest is pulling me.

I break the surface of the water, one thought on my mind. "Virge? Virge?? Virgil?!?" I call, receiving no response. Right, unconscious probably sinking- PROBABLY SINKING!!! I take a deep breath, plunging down into the water, reaching out desperately to find him. My hand brushes against something solid and warm so I immediately latch on to it. Using all of my strength, I pull up. Seeing Virgil's arm in my right hand I let out a sigh of relief, and pull us towards the tipped canoe. Even if I couldn't get back in it, I could at least use it as a floatie of sorts. Luckily, we weren't too far from shore, and I dragged Virgil onto the mini-beach. My family could find the paddles if they were that important but right now I was concerned with him. Even after his head being above water for at least five minutes, he still hadn't woken up, and it didn't even look like he was breathing....

Roman, you dunce! He isn't breathing, do CPR or something!! I confidently place my hands on his chest for the compression motions. One, two, three. One, two, three. Still nothing, so I'm gonna have to actually, like, kiss him? There's no way he'd actually consent to that though. Get over it, I'm sure he'll understand that I had no other choice. I pinch his nose and pull open his mouth, and I lower my face down to his. And- "*coughs up figurative lug* What the hell??" He rolls onto his side, coughing up lake water. I give a cry of relief and happiness and, in the spur of the moment, I decide to hold him tighter than I've ever held anyone before. He reciprocates the embrace, but not before adding, "What happened? Is everyone okay??"

"Yes, everyone's okay, we're the only ones that tipped. And.....I'm sorry."

"Why?" he asks, eyes full of confusion. He'll hate me for sure if I tell him, but I can't lie to him, can I?

"I broke my promise. I didn't keep you safe. I'm so, so sorry," I say quietly, on the brink of tears.

He looks at me quizzically before smiling, "I'm alive, aren't I?"

I give a small smile back, "Yes, and that's all that matters." He burrows his head in my neck and I hear him sigh with content.

"Hey Ro?" he calls.

"Yeah?"

"Can you promise me something else?"

"Sure."

"Promise me that we'll never go canoeing again."

I laugh lightheartedly, "I wouldn't dream of it."

A/N: Imma be honest, the entirety of this chapter was originally written by my co-author XD.

Co-A/N: Imma be even honester, the entirety of this chapter got better when the real author decided to FINALLY help out *smh*

Author: Shut up I don't pay you for this disrespect

Co-Author:  u don't pay me at all :p         \_(•—•)_/