Nathan Meets Flaws pt.1

Alrighty. I finished another chapter yesterday so I decided to release this chapter a day early. It's pretty long. Also...

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter features bullying with both physical and verbal assault. I tried to make it as mild as possible but it's still there.

Today it was just Nathan and Farkle. Lucas had baseball practice so his mom dropped him off.  The two of them were waiting by the lockers outside of the classroom.

"Have you ever noticed how backwards things are here?" Nathan asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, this week is graduation and awards night. But we haven't even gotten out for Christmas yet. We've only been in school for about two months."

"I never really thought about it," Farkle replies honestly. "Look there's Billy and Davy. Baseball practice must be over."

Nathan sighs we sees that Farkle is correct. He's been getting the feeling lately that Davy didn't really like the two of them all that much.

"Great," he whispers when the two athletes approach them. "Hi, guys."

"Look, Billy. It's waiting for it's boyfriend."

"What did you call me?" Nathan questions with a frown.

"I called you an it," Davy says pushing Nathan into the lockers. "You have a problem with that?"

"Well for one, Lucas isn't my boyfriend," Nathan denies. "And I'm not gay either."

Davy snorts, "Yeah and I'm not the captain of the baseball team. Give me a break. You're not fooling anyone, you little freak."

"Why don't you leave him alone," Farkle replies.

"You first," Davy sneers.

"What?"

"I leave the freak here alone, as long as the two of leave Lucas alone."

"Lucas is our friend," Nathan protests and Billy scoffs.

"Why would Lucas be friends with a pair of nothings like you when he could be friends with us."

"What does that even mean?"

'Nothing? Is that what they are?'

"Exactly what he said," Davy answers. "It means you're nothing. And the only person that's a bigger nothing in this school than you, freak is your weird friend-"

"and your stupid turtlenecks." Billy finishes looking at Farkle.

Without another word the two athletes walk away. Billy into the classroom and Davy in the direction of his locker.

"Let's get out of here, Farkle."

"Hold on a minute."

Farkle goes into the classroom and puts a device on his desk and then walks out again, "Okay, let's go."

The two friends walk in silence to the only place they know they can go.

Janitor Harley's supply closet.

-

"Graduation and awards night is coming up. I am very proud of this class. Several of you will be recognized for your achievements throughout the year."

"Awards are a scam!" Maya exclaims. "A girl like me never had a chance, Matthews. Never had a chance."

"All right, I'll do it, but it's ridiculous," Riley says when Maya continues to stare at her. "It's a scam, Matthews! She never had a chance!"