Nathan Meets Flaws pt.2

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter mentions a moment of physical assaul

"Janitor Harley can you just drop it. Please."

Nathan pleads with Janitor Harley as Farkle continues to rub cream on his back. But it's exactly his luck that the door is slammed open and Riley comes in just as Farkle announces that he's done.

Quickly before she can notice Nathan pulls his shirt down and moves away. Almost backing into Janitor Harley in the process.

"Farkle. Nobody in this school loves to learn more than you. Get back into the classroom where you belong. Nobody gets to crush your spirit."

"My spirit's fine," Farkle tells her rubbing his hands on his pants. "I just don't want to be me anymore."

"Why? Because somebody said something about what you wear? Stupid reason. Stupid shirt," she says tugging on it. "Stupid, stupid, stupid shirt. It isn't you."

"Riley, can you just let it go," Nathan questions.

"Don't think I forgot about you. I gave you time and you never called. Well time's up. I want to know what's going on right now. Farkle you first."

"He said I was the biggest nothing in this school. He said I had no right to walk around acting all confident and pretending like people liked me. He said I had no right to have friends like you, because I was the biggest nothing in this school."

Riley pulls Farkle into a hug, "Farkle, it's not okay that somebody called you that."

"Kids can be very cruel," Janitor Harley says from behind them. "I know this from personal experience."

"You were picked on as a kid," Riley asks shocked.

"No, I was the other one, the picker-on-er. I'm so ashamed. Just-- just look away."

Riley turns to Maya and Lucas who had just walked into the room, "Somebody told Farkle that he doesn't deserve us as friends."

"Who," Maya demands to know.

"It's not important."

"It's the most important thing in the world," Maya corrects. "I'll find him myself and I'd hate to be him when I do."

Maya tries to storm out of the room, but Lucas picks her up under her arms and prevents her from leaving, "Am I there yet?"

"Farkle, don't let what anybody says get to you. That's what gives them power."

"Why are you our friend?"

"What is with that," Lucas questions. "And why aren't you saying anything, Nat?"

Nathan averts his eyes from Lucas and turns to his sister, "Does after school work? I'll explain everything."

"We'll be there," she tells him.

"Riley-"

"Nope," Maya interrupts. "You had your chance for it to be just the two of you. Now we're all involved."

Riley sighs, "Would you guys just come back to class?"

"Pippi Longstockings is right. I, janitor Harley Keiner, was in my youth a school meanie. And someone you all know and love was often the target of my shenanigans. But his will was so strong, it changed the nature of our relationship forever. In fact, he even got me this job, and now I hold him in the highest esteem."

"Farkle, you're here," Cory says as he enters the room. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, sir."

"Nathaniel?"