Chapter 12

School has been stressful with all these tests and few finals, so I'm very sorry for the wait. Also, I hope all of you did well and passed all of your semester classes! Hope everyone has a great break!

Chapter 12- Layla

"Sissy?" Ben asked sleepily.

"Yeah bud?"

"Why don't we live with someone like Jo?" My heart swelled at hearing Ben call Jordi his nickname he gave him. He said since Jordi has a nickname for him he gets to give Jordi one as well. It made me happy that Ben liked Jordi. Of course, since he's my boyfriend, but I don't know why it made me happier than I would've thought.

"Well, sometimes people have to go through a storm to live with the rainbow. And I just guess Jordi is our rainbow. We're living in a storm right now, but pretty soon we'll be living with our rainbow." Woah, did I really just imply that we'll live with Jordi soon?

"Okay. I can't wait until we get to live with our rainbow." He said, shutting his eyes and yawning.

"Me neither bud." I smiled softly down at my sleeping brother. Cuddled against my side softly.

I watched as Ben slept, knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep. He asked me to sleep in his room tonight because he said he was having nightmares again.

The first time Ben saw Marc hitting me, it was one of my bad beatings Marc gave me. Ben woke me up that night screaming. He ran into my room and hugged me for life, saying he was scared for me. Every time he had a nightmare, he would either come sleep with me or I would go sleep with him.

Since Marc has been being slightly more aggressive, I guess Ben has started to get more scared.

Reaching over to my notepad, I flip open to the page I drew the eye on that day in class. I started to add to it, being careful not to stir Ben. I drew lines and curves and shaded things that needed it.

Looking at the clock, I saw that an hour and a half has passed, and I was close to finishing my drawing. I don't know why, but I drew a wolf attached to the eye. It was an all black wolf, with silvery stripes splashing across the rib cage. He was sitting down, looking up at something. I also added a hand coming down, reaching out to pet his head. That's what he was looking up at, the hand. Anticipating the first stroke of skin against fur.

I don't know why I decided to draw a wolf instead of the boy I was planning to draw. A few nights after I started this drawing in class, I had a dream of a girl with dark hair reaching out to pet a wolf who was surrendering to her. It was as if he was trying to say he was no threat. It was adorable the way he sat and purred at her feet.

I've had the same dream for a while now. Not all the time, but a few nights a week. I like it, though. The dream somehow calms me.

I fell asleep with a smile on my face, anticipating seeing Jordi tomorrow. He always knew what to say and what to do to make me feel comfortable and safe. I love that feeling.

-

Standing in the shower, letting the cold water run down my body, I looked down at myself. I wasn't ashamed of my body, I just wish I had more of a figure. I hated being as skinny as I was and it wasn't even my choice to be. I had no choice. Not only was I too skinny, in my opinion, but I also donned yellow spots all around my torso and in some spots it was darker.

I pressed down on some of them, most didn't hurt, but one in specific did. On my hip, I have a really bad bruise where Marcus grips me all the time. Whenever I make him mad he grips my waist really hard and his strength depends on how mad I make him. It's one of the darkest bruises I have now.

Stepping out of the shower, I'm grateful it's Friday. All week has been amazing hanging out with Jordi at school. He's been kind enough to drop the subject of my bruise he found the other day. I can see that he wants to ask me about it sometimes but he thinks better of it and doesn't. He's so considerate.

The rest of my morning goes by as normal. Well, normal for me. I fix breakfast for Ben and Marc, help Ben get ready for school, eat whatever Ben left on his plate, and we head out the door. Only this morning wasn't all that normal.

When Ben and I were putting on our coats and getting our bags ready Marcus came into the living room and didn't even look at the food I left out for him. He walked straight to me.

"You aren't going to school today." He demanded, getting in my face and grabbing my school bag, throwing it to the floor.

"B-But Ben has to go, his sp-speech is getting better through school. H-He also really enjoys it. P-Please let us g-go to school." I started stuttering a lot more when Marc talks to me. He has just been making me nervous with how much stronger he seems to get everyday.

"I never said anything about the brat not going. I said you aren't." He looks down at Ben, making a face and then looking back to me. "You are staying with me today, okay?"

I only nodded, afraid of what he might do. It was the wrong thing to do.

"I SAID OKAY?" He all but yelled, inching closer to my face.

"O-Okay. B-But what about Benny? How w-will he get to school?"

"The brat can walk, or maybe he can catch a ride with your little friend? Huh? How would he like that?"

I tensed up. He couldn't possibly know about Jordi, could he? I started shaking. Stepping back a little bit, I bump into Ben, his little body behind my legs. Only now realizing it, I pushed Benny behind me as soon as I saw Marc coming towards us, protecting him.

"Go! Leave!" Marc yelled at Ben.

Ben flinched and gripped my thighs harder.

Marc grabbed my upper arms, flinging me out of the way and onto the floor by his feet. He started forward, slowly, scaring Ben. I quickly got up, pain shooting up my spine after landing on my back. "Stop! Let him go!" I yelled just as Marc took hold of Ben.

"Sissy!" Ben screamed, thrashing in Marc's arms.

I launched myself onto Marcus' back, wrapping my arms around his neck, effectively getting him to release my baby brother. He stumbled backwards, away from Ben. He overpowered me and threw me over his shoulder onto my back in front of him, knocking the breath out of my chest.

"Oh you've done it now, b*tch." He snarled, getting closer to me, his hands coming to my throat.

"Ben, run! Go to Jordi!" I managed to squeak out.

I heard him cry out, "I love you sissy!" and faintly saw him run out the door.

I thought to myself, I love you too Benny.

Now it was just Marc and I, with his hands around my throat, putting enough pressure to let me know not to speak.

"Now, finally we're alone." He bent lower towards my faves "Why don't you tell me about your little boyfriend?" He spat out, so much venom dripping from his voice.

"I-I d-don-" I tried to get out, but the lack of oxygen reaching my lungs and brain kept me from completing my lie.

"Don't you dare lie to me, whore! I know you are dating that prick!" I tried to speak, but couldn't.

Marc must have seen how I tried to respond. Gulping in air as he released my neck, I gasped as a fist collided with the side of my head. I just hope it wasn't the side with the big bruise still lingering there.

I felt dizzy. I mean, really dizzy. I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than a few seconds. I started seeing black dots cloud my vision. Before I went unconscious, I heard a voice from far away. "Be happy the brat isn't here to see what about to happen." I heard a few noises after he spoke, then all I heard was silence and all I saw was black.

-----------------------

Kinda short, I know. As I said, school is stressful with finals and everything. Also, again, I hope everyone passed semester classes and any exams you had to take. Good luck to anyone who still needs to take finals or anything of the sort.

Please vote, comment, and give feedback! I appreciate it so much and it motivates me to write quicker! Thanks guys, love y'all!