𝐭 𝐰 𝐞 𝐧 𝐭 𝐲 - 𝐭 𝐰 𝐨

The next day, Saturday, we enjoyed a lazy morning in bed followed by a long breakfast on my balcony. Since we’d made ourselves official, there was lightness in me, something I hadn’t felt in a long time. I hoped it would be permanent. Lisa read the paper, and I worked as we poured each other coffee and passed things back and forth.

I looked up from my tablet to watch her drizzling honey over fruit. Her forehead wrinkled with concentration, lower lip captured between her teeth. Lisa caught me staring. “What?” She sucked honey from her thumb.

“Nothing, sweetheart. Nothing at all. Except you’re beautiful.” I took her hand and filled her in on our plans for the day. “Jimin will be here at three with his hair and makeup girls. If you want, they can do yours too.” I worded the offer carefully, not wanting her to think I didn’t trust her. “I know you’re fine but it takes some of the stress out of getting ready. You can just drink champagne and let them do all the work.”

Lisa was silent for a moment, her thoughtful face in place. “You’re right. That would be great.” She pointed at her face. “They’ve probably got some pretty heavy-duty concealer.”

“You don’t need it.”

“Flatterer. What are we going to do until he arrives?” she asked innocently. She tried to hide it, but a smirk slid out.

I returned her cheeky grin. “I’m sure we can think of something.”

After an hour in bed, we relaxed quietly with limbs intertwined. I rolled onto my side, head propped in my hand. “You know, I’m fairly certain everyone is going to be stuck to your side tonight.”

“Yeah?” She drew the word out. “And why’s that?”

I climbed over to slip back between her legs, resting my forearms on her hips. “This stunning body, and that gorgeous face.” My hands slid up to cup her breasts, fingers sliding over her nipples.

“Just remember who gets to take it home,” she said softly. Her thighs closed around me, heels coming to rest against my calves.

I kissed her abdomen, running my nose over her soft skin. “I’m sorry if it’s awful.”

“What? The oral sex you’re clearly about to give me?”

I pinched her nipple gently. “No. The gala.”

Lisa ran a hand through my hair. “I don’t care, Nini. I’d spend a week making small talk with strangers if it meant I could stand by your side in public.”

I glanced up at her, smiling. “Really?”

She gave me a lazy smile of her own. “Really.”

Blinking to stop the tears prickling my eyes from falling, I made my way down between her thighs.

* * *

Thoroughly relaxed after hours in bed, I had bottles of Krug waiting in ice buckets when Jimin arrived with “his girls” in tow. Impeccable in Armani, he gave me a double cheek kiss and swanned into the room. His self-appointed role was, under the guise of supervising, to drink my champagne and make me laugh.

He peered around then made a beeline for the booze. “Are you ready, sweetness? And where’s my second project?”

I’d sent him a text earlier to tell him Lisa would need hair and makeup too. His response was typically exuberant. OMG!? Is this THE woman?! Dying.Emoji. Emoji. Emoji.

My response to his response was short. Behave.

Never. Kiss emoji. Very rude emojis.

“She’s finishing her shower.” I poured myself a small glass of champagne and settled in a chair. Makeup cases were opened, more champagne distributed, compliments swapped. Jimin lowered his voice to just above a stage whisper. “I’m very excited to meet the object of your affections, Jennie. Though I must confess I have concerns about someone who chooses their own attire.”