-1-

February 11, 2011: Valentine's Day Dance

"There's someone out there for us," Troy soothed, gently placing his arm around his dearest friend and companion, Abed. 

With a slight smile and in his usual monotone, Abed replied, "Happy Valentine's day."

"It is now." Troy pulled Abed into his arms. The pair stood there, motionless in the hallway, sharing in a warm embrace. The hot librarian that had rejected Abed- and then got rejected by Troy- walked past awkwardly, taking a long and uncomfortable glance at the two. "Ignore her."

"Okay." 

"Let's get back to the dance," Abed announced once the hot librarian was finally gone. "I was so busy talking about Saw, I didn't get to eat any of the sugar cookies. Wanna see how tall of a tower we can make out of them?"

With a childish toothy grin, Troy beamed, "Of course, let's go."

On the dance floor, Britta was making out with supposed lesbian Paige. Abed and Troy decided to ignore that mess and made their way to the snack table where they started filling up plates with heart-shaped sugar cookies. Out of nowhere, Abed stopped in his tracks, eyes focused somewhere on the opposite side of the room.

"Abed? You good buddy?" Troy wondered, waving his hand in front of Abed's face. "Please, don't let this be like Christmas again, I can't handle another animated adventure."

In a meek voice much unlike himself, Abed muttered, "It's her."

"It's who, Abed? Is the mean sexy librarian back?"

Shaking his head frantically, Abed began to squeal nervously.

"Calm down, buddy," Troy whined, starting to become unnerved by Abed's state. "What's wrong? Is it the girl who thought Star Wars was a space shuttle?"

"Worse," Abed grumbled, starting to pace. "It's the girl I was in love with in middle school."

Visibly confused, Troy spluttered, "What?!"

"We were best friends, and before I could work up the nerve to tell her I was head over heels for her, her parents got divorced and she moved to Maine."

"Why are you upset about that?" Troy questioned, continuing, "Isn't that a good thing? You're going to rekindle an old flame, that's amazing!"

"No, Troy, not amazing," Abed argued. "This could completely destroy the entire dynamic of our group. Not to mention you would be incredibly jealous of her. Let's leave. We can eat candy hearts blindfolded and guess their messages in the library instead."

"Can't you at least point out who she is to me?" Troy pleaded.

"No."

Troy held his hands up, trying to prove his innocence to Abed.  "It's only to help you avoid her, I swear."  

"You're not lying to me in order to hatch a scheme to get us together, are you?" Abed asked, deadly serious. He stood intimidatingly close to Troy, staring into his eyes with a scary intensity. "That would completely destroy my trust for you."

Returning Abed's seriousness, Troy replied, "I am not scheming, I just want to know."

"Okay," Abed said, stepping back and pointing to a pasty and petite girl with a green bob. She stood off to the side, wearing a Breakfast Club shirt and watching the people making a fool of themselves on the dance floor. "That's Benny. She's the most adorable person to ever exist and now I have to pretend like she doesn't."

"Wow," Troy remarked, surprised. "Has her hair always been green?"

"No, I helped her dye it in 7th grade. We went as Batman and the Joker the Halloween before she moved. I'm surprised she kept it."

"Are you sure you don't even want to go over and say hi?" Troy teased.

"Positive. Let's go."