Part 5

They all sat on the couch. Edith had fallen asleep while leaning on Ivy's chest listening to her heartbeat it was soothing to listen to. When the movie ended Ivy stood up and walked to her room.

"Goodnight Elysia."

"G'night Ivy..." Elysia was half asleep on the couch. Ivy shut the door and set Edith down on a pillow she took the pillow and set it on the desk. She grabbed an extra blanket and laid it on top of the girl. She looked so small and cute lying on the pillow. She put on her pajama pants and a t-shirt. She went to the bathroom, brushed her teeth and washed her face. Ivy walked back to her room and laid down. Her eyes closed and she slowly drifted to sleep.

In the morning Ivy woke up and looked at her ceiling. She sat up and looked at the desk she saw Edith reading a book she had left open. She was sitting on a page and reading it. Then the tiny girl moved to the next page.

"How are you turning the pages?" Edith jumped a little. She turned around and looked at Ivy.

"The pages are kind of heavy," Edith admitted. She walked to the edge of the book and grabbed a page pulling it over to read the other side.

"How about some breakfast?" Ivy asked. Edith turned towards her and nodded while smiling. Ivy set her hand down for the small girl to climb onto. Once Edith was on she lifted her up to her chest and walked to the door. They went into the kitchen and Edith was put down onto the counter. Ivy got all the ingredients from the cupboard.

¾ cups gluten-free flour

½ teaspoon xantham gum

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

⅔ cup milk

2 eggs

2 tablespoons cooking oil

Package of chocolate chips

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and cooking oil.

Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients, and whisk until well blended.

Put chocolate chips in batter and mix

Let stand for about 10 minutes.

Preheat ungreased, non-stick frying pan to medium heat.

Pour batter by spoonfuls onto the hot pan. Put

Pancakes are ready to be turned over when the edges are no longer glossy, and the bubbles that pop stay open. To check the second side for doneness, you just have to lift an edge of the pancake up with a spatula and take a peek.

Ivy made a few large pancakes and when she was done she made some small pancakes for Edith. She put the pancakes on a plate and got out the syrup. She put 3 plates on the table and gave Edith the small pancakes. Edith took a bite and smiled; she dipped it in a small pool of syrup.

"These are really good!"

"Thank you. They are gluten-free. I have celiac disease so I can't eat gluten" Ivy explained. Elysia walked out of her room.

"Mmm... Are those Pancakes?