Lock It Up

POV: Alan

We get into Dairy Queen and we go to order, but Melody looks like she's confused on what to order.

"Two Minty Candy Cane Chills please," I tell the man behind the counter.

"Coming right up," he says with a smile.

"Thanks Alan."

"No problem, I think these are unique blizzards that only come around this time of the year, so we have to get them."

We get our orders and as Melody starts to sit down, I talk to the man behind the counter. He points to the right and I nod. "Thanks man."

"Anytime," he replies.

I motion for Melody to follow me into little room that looks very comfy.

It must be a little "conference" room except there are also a few beanbags and comfy spinny chairs in there too.

We sit in chairs and she gives me a funny look. "What are we doing in here?" She asks.

"I just thought you would like this room better than sitting in those boring chairs out there," I point at the closed door.

"Come on just tell me. Seriously why are we back here?"

"This is also where I always come when I am coming back from my "Escaping" place."

"I thought you said you haven't been here in a while?"

"I haven't been out to either of these places in a while, I've been too busy trying to help the guys get the school started. It takes a lot of work, so actually this trip helped the both of us escape from our craziness of the other world."

"What do you mean 'other world' Alan?"

"I just mean the craziness of everyday life that the guys and my girls give me everyday and to sometimes think about if I am in a writer's block when I don't know what to write about for our songs."

"Oh ok I get it. And thank you for bringing me. I needed it after....... What that girl said about me today."

I could feel there was more than just this girl. She isn't telling me something and I can feel it.

"Hey Melody, what that girl said is not true! You are beautiful from head to toe my darling, you are absolutely gorgeous." (Song of Songs 4:7)

She begins to cry again and says to me, "Izzy told me that you always know what to say when someone is having a hard time, but I didn't really realize what she was talking about until now, but I still have this feeling that I cannot get rid of."

"and what is that?"

She shuts herself up again and I notice something I the corner of the room. A guitar. (Thanks God I know this isn't a coincidence.)

"Can you hand me that?" I ask her, "Can I play a song for you?"

"I love it when you do so yes please."

"Will you jump in if you know this song?"

"Mmmmmm sure."

I start to play then sing the song...

"It's a little bit scary, and you're not sure what's up ahead
So you try to bury all your fears."

I can tell she knows this song after I played it in the car, so I nod to her. She continues it...

"Lock it up tight, deep inside, out of sight, out of mind."

I answer her back with the next line...

"At least that's what you tell yourself, doesn't seem to help."

She starts to water a little bit and I'm hesitant to continue, but I would hate to stop in the middle of the song

"Don't you know you're not alone in the unkno..."

She grabbed my guitar as she whispers out to me, "I'm sorry I can't do this... Not right now. I just can't..."

She bolts out of the room crying.

"Nice going Alan I blew it! How will she open up now?"

I follow her out to the car and we drive back to the school in silence. I don't know what to say after what happened. Neither does she and she doesn't even touch the rest of her blizzard.
-
-
-
We get back to the school and she doesn't look as red or puffy as she did when we left.

We walk back to the entrance and she has a smile on her face. Only the people who truly know her could tell the hurt in her eyes.

"Thanks Alan I had a great time," as she bounds off to her class.

Ok how often does she lock herself up that she can go from streaming tears to that smiley face? Will God allow me to try again tomorrow? Tomorrow is a new day right? These things will take time.

Hopefully she will find relief soon. I don't like seeing her with such sadness.