Part 10 After the exam

The test was finally over and Nishikata was, somehow, out of breath. "I ... don't know how." He began. "But ... I think I did ... well." He pushed himself to his feet as he continued to try and regain his breath. "Now I just need to find Takagi."

He made his way to the entrance where he found Takagi already waiting for him. 'Figures.' He thought as he walked up to her. "Hey, Takagi!" He called out.

She looked over to him and smiled. "Nishikata." She strolled towards him with a smile on her face. "So, how do you think you did?"

"I think I passed, it was ... easier than I thought it would be."

"I wish I felt that way, but I do feel confident about how I did."

"So, now that that's finally over, time for some lunch?"

"Great idea!" She grabbed his hand, causing him to blush. "Oh relax, no one here knows us yet, so what's it matter what they think?"

Just then, a familiar voice called out to them. "Takagi? Nishikata?" Takagi immediately let go of Nishikata's hand as they looked over to see Yukari strolling towards them. "I didn't know you two were applying to this school."

"Yukari?" Takagi asked. "I could say the same about you."

"Well, I guess that's luck then, huh?" She said as she scratched the back of her head. "Anyway, my grandma lives nearby, and I promised to visit her after I was done, so I'll see the two of you later." She waved to them, before walking off in the opposite direction of the train station.

"Well, that's strange." Takagi said as she watched her walk away. "She didn't ask if we were dating."

"She probably already assumes that we are." Nishikata replied as they started walking again. "And now, everyone in school is going to know that we're going to the same highschool."

"Speaking of which, I've noticed that you've been more open about wanting to spend time with me."

"I have?"

"Yeah, you used to deny it all together and just say that you wanted to get back at me."

Nishikata began to blush. "Well, that's still true but ... we're about to take a big step in our lives, I think it's about time I grow up a little, don't you think?"

"You know that being mature isn't going to make me stop teasing you, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." He said as he rolled his eyes. "Anyway, let's look for some place to eat."