Part 13 A short walk

The following day had come, and Takagi was walking with her friend Sumire, talking about various things.

"I can't believe it's been three years already." Sumire said as she looked towards the sky. "There were days when things seemed to drag on, but it still feels like only yesterday we first walked to the opening ceremony together."

"Yeah, how time flies." Takagi added. "So, did you manage to get into that private school you were looking into?"

"Yeah, by the skin of my teeth. My parents were overjoyed to see me get in." She tilted her head slightly as she turned to look at Takagi. "So, I take it I don't even need to ask if you got in."

"The exam was ... somewhat easy, but I still couldn't help myself from being nervous."

"You? Nervous about a test?"

"Oh, not for myself."

"Huh?" Sumire looked at her puzzled. "How so?"

"Well ..." Takagi glanced upwards and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Can you keep a secret?"

"Come on, how long have we known each other?"

"Right, it's just ... I really don't want this getting around too much."

"I promise to keep it a secret."

Takagi smiled. "Thanks, anyway, I managed to convince Nishikata to apply to the same school as me."

Sumire gazed at her shocked. "You ... how?

"Well, I helped him study, and he said he would do anything if I helped him so ... I asked him to apply to the same school as me."

"And he didn't realize you like him?"

"I think he probably suspects by now." She stopped as her smile faded. "At least ... I hope he does."

"How do you mean?"

"Yesterday ... I thought he was going to confess his feelings for me ... but he didn't." She began to rub her right arm and blushed. "He asked me to hang out, and after all that had happened, I figured he was finally ready to confess, but I was wrong, or he chickened out."

"What did he do?"

"He gave me this." She reached into her bag and pulled out the puzzle box. "He also gave me a challenge to open it before the end of the week."

Sumire took a close look at the box and shrugged. "It looks like an easy win to me, maybe a day or two and I could open that thing."

"It's actually a little more complicated than it looks, some things are a little misleading."

"Is that so? Do you think you'll be able to open it in time?"

"Yup, and if I can, he has to confess to the girl he likes."

Sumire stopped walking and looked at Takagi intently. "You're ... forcing him to?"

"Well he did agree to it, I mean it's obvious that he's realized at this point, and I'm tired of waiting when both of us know about each other's feelings."

"Are you sure you're both ready?"

"Well he's a little nervous, but I'll be sure to-"

"I mean, are you ready?"

"Am I ready?" Takagi asked. "Of course I am, what kind of question is that?"

"Okay then, tell me how it goes."