Part 16 Minor complication

The day had finally come to an end, and Nishikata was in his room trying to relax. "Damn, that was intense." He said aloud. "Is that what it's going to be like when we're together? Or is it going to be worse?" He looked out the window and continued thinking. "Or is she just teasing me and it's not going to be anything like that at all." He sighed and sat forward. "Yeah, that's probably it."

He continued to sit there as his mind wandered back to when they were under the tree in the park earlier. "It's definitely not going to be like that all the time ... right?"

Over with Takagi, she was sitting in her room, working on the puzzle box Nishikata had given her. "How is this thing so difficult? Even if Nishikata was lying about how long it took him, it shouldn't be taking me this long!" She placed it on her desk and began rubbing her temples. "Maybe I'm just frustrated. Yeah, I just need to relax a little." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "Now how am I going to tease him when this gets opened? I could open it in front of him and just kiss him before he confesses ... no, that just makes me look full of myself for assuming I know it's me. Then again, he knows, I know, meaning it's basically all one big formality at this point ... still, I should try another approach."

She continued thinking till another idea came into her head. "I could come close to kissing him, just wait for that moment when he does, then just tackle him ... I like that idea." She laughed as she continued thinking up all the different ways she could make this as memorable as possible. "Whatever happens, he's going to be resistant until I give him my reply, so I want to give it as soon as possible, don't want him to suffer too much."

As she sat there, her phone began to sound, catching her attention. "Huh?" She picked up her phone and placed it against her ear. "Hello?"

"Takagi?" Came Sumire's voice. "Tell me, are the rumors true?"

"And what rumors would that be?"

"That you and Nishikata are finally together."

"No, we're still friends." Takagi replied.

"But ... someone said they saw you practically on top of him."

Takagi began to get nervous after hearing what Sumire said. "I'm sorry, who said that?"

"Kaede; she said she saw the two of you in the park together and you were crawling on top of him."

Takagi blushed profusely. "Well ... that doesn't mean we're together yet."

"Wait, that actually happened?"

"Yes." Takagi admitted. "It really happened, and no, we didn't get together yet."

"Then why were you-"

"I was trying to tease him a little and it got out of hand."

"A little? Are you sure you're using that word correctly?"

"Tes, I'm sure." She sighed and began rubbing her eyebrows. "Anyway, thank you for telling me about this, can you just tell everyone who brings it up that Nishikata and I aren't dating yet?"

"Well ... sure but ... I know it's not really my business, but don't you think maybe you've been playing long enough?"

"Yeah, but we have a challenge going, and I have to finish that first." She let out another sigh. "It was his idea."

"Oh ... well ... best of luck."

"Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

Takagi hung up the phone and dropped her head into her arms. "Why did someone have to see that? At this rate, we're not going to be able to surprise anyone at all ... And I want another fond memory to look back on!" She pushed her chair back and looked at the ceiling. "I need to stop making us look like a couple ... or solve this thing tonight." She picked up the box and began working on it a little. "But it's just so complicated!"