"what is a gay panic???"

it doesn't take very long for minhee to encounter the puppy-like sophomore again.

it's like he's suddenly opened his eyes to a whole new world that he's never encountered before. suddenly, hyeongjun is everywhere. he's in his 8AM poli sci class, which is the most out-of-character subject minhee expects hyeongjun to take. he assumed the other boy would take something from the liberal arts courses, considering his major, or psychology. but that's okay, because minhee gets to longingly stare (like a fucking creeper) at the back of hyeongjun's head as the poodle-haired boy tries not to doze off in the middle of the lecture.

hyeongjun doesn't notice him, minhee hopes. professor bae yoon jung uses the card tapping system for attendance and minhee's always at the back due to his tree-like height. hyeongjun sits somewhere in the middle, flocked by a stoic-looking boy who looks suspiciously like that one INFINITE member and another red-haired, cutie-faced boy who's nudging hyeongjun to wake the fuck up, professor bae is glaring at you again.

hyeongjun also apparently dances in the same corridor minhee walks past on mondays on his way back from criminal justice class. minhee never notices the clubs that perform considering he's consistently plugged out from the world, earbuds shoved so deep into his ear canals he's surprised he isn't going deaf yet, listening to some foreign language audio on loop.

so on that day when minhee spots that familiar head of poodle-like hair in the corridor, he decides to stop and linger behind some curious spectators.

"let's get it, hyeongjun-ah!"

"hangyul you're so sexy~"

"seungyoun oppa!"

the air is charged with energy and the heavy thrum of hip hop music blares through the mini bluetooth speaker on the floor, and minhee watches intently as hyeongjun and two other guys prepare an intense choreo right in front of the awaiting crowd. minhee doesn't know the name of the track, it sounds a bit like they're saying "umjigyeo " but he finds himself subconsciously nodding to the beat.

minhee's fascinated. fascinated at the way hyeongjun's cutesy demeanor changes before he can even blink, and boy can that kid snap. his moves are delicate and sharp, simultaneously making the choreo look super easy, and minhee can't help but let his eyes wander at the sharp jut of hyeongjun's chin, his puppy-like eyes charged with intent, like he's seducing the audience and minhee. its a side minhee doesn't expect to see from the soft, vulnerable crying boy from two nights ago, and he feels himself falling harder and harder than he already is.

he leaves right before they finish, and hopes hyeongjun doesn't notice his presence.

minhee later sees him at the campus cafe where he works part-time at. he's checking the cash register for change before ducking behind the counter the second he spots the adorable poodle-haired boy walking in, surrounded by his noisy group of equally adorable-looking friends (as well as that annoying whatshisname ex), and some other guys who minhee swears aren't freshmen.

"seungyoun hyung, you're treating me today right~?"

"dongpyo-ah, don't you have your own money?"

"but hyuuuung, bubble tea tastes so much better when you buy it for me~."

"hey yohan, isn't taekwondo practice in ten minutes?"

"ah shi -"

"language!"

"allen, you, of all people, do not get to say that."

"you gonna fight me on that serim?"

"chacha, you're so cute today~!"

"s-sangie, we're in p-public -"

"hyeongjunnie, what do you want to eat? hyung will get it for you~."

seo woobin, the only other staff on duty - and probably the only other person minhee is comfortable talking to on a friendly basis - just looks at the giant boy in fond amusement.

"minhee-ah, your body is too big to hide behind the cash register," woobin points out.

"hyung ," minhee whines in embarrassment, woobin's voice travelling louder than it should be, and he can promptly hear the group's conversation quieten.

minhee craves death.

"come on, get up, you baby," woobin shakes his head and grabs onto minhee's shoulders and hauls him up, and minhee's face heats up so fast it makes him dizzy. he instantly shys his body away from the group in a vain attempt to avoid eye contact.

"you're acting really weirdly today, are you okay?" woobin takes off his glove and presses his hand against the flushing giant's forehead, and the older man raises his eyebrow in concern, "minhee-ah, you're burning up."

no i'm not, i'm just gay and dumb, minhee brushes the older man off and bows in apology.

"i-it's nothing hyung, don't worry, b-but can you help me take their ord -"

"minhee, is that you?"

minhee seizes up, and slowly, rigidly, turns around, and he tells himself to breathe when he meets the inquiring, curious gaze of one song hyeongjun. the boy's eyes are wide, his cheeks no longer tear-stained, and the dance major looks considerably a lot more presentable and well-rested than when minhee last saw him. which also means that minhee can now appreciate the full beauty and adorableness of the poodle-haired sophomore in his basic white shirt, black sweatpants and alice hairband exposing his pretty (what) forehead. minhee bites his lip.

shit