Chapter 1

"Oh, for heaven's sake, you can't tie your own shoelaces even if you were held at gunpoint," Hali snapped, glaring at his quote, chosen human. "How are you going to save the world, I have no idea."

Petir glared at the small kwami, which resembled a cheetah with red eyes and golden fur, albeit less deadly and more towards an unwanted cutesy. "Without me, you're useless," he snapped, bending down to tie his shoelaces, though it was hastily done. "Get in the damn bag. I'm already late for school because you hid my clothes."

The small kwami scowled, as if denying his crime of theft. "You could just transform and get to school," it retorted, hovering around his owner. "But you're too much of a scaredy cat to do it."

The teen didn't retort, simply zipping open the bag and kept his finger pointing inside, telling him to enter so they could go on with their lives.

"You're really are a scared kitty cat," Hali snapped, then nestled into the black bag, dunking himself next to Petir's textbooks sulkily.

Without hesitation, the teen zipped his bag and tossed it over his shoulder. Ignoring his father's shouting, he whipped the door open and ran.

When he reached the school gate, they were closed shut and empty, save for the prefect and two other teens his age, their heads bowed to the first teen in shame.

Great, Petir thought, his hand clutching the strap of his bag. Just great.

He sighed, accepting his fate as he walked up to his school, catching the attention of the prefect, who stopped his lecture towards the three other kids.

"Petir?" Tanah demanded, eyes wide. "You're late too?" He frowned, sighing as if he's had enough for the morning. "What happened to you?"

Petir gritted his teeth, his scowling expression reflecting his foul mood.

"I lost my uniform." He crossed his arms, biting down curses towards his kwami. He could practically hear Hali's diabolical laughter in his backpack.

Tanah blinked at him. "That's... not believable at all," he confessed. "But since it's your first time, I'll just let you off with a warning. Just try to make it on time from now on. Three times and it's detention."

Petir shrugged. "Thanks, I guess," he said. "Though, you might want to keep an eye on those three."

Tanah whirled around, only to see where the duo had been standing was empty. A shriek attracted both their attentions, their heads craning to the nearest wall. The teen, who had scaled the wall, noticed them looking and began to panic, then fell off the wall and landed on his friends.

Petir patted Tanah's shoulder, who was looking like he's seen death door, muttering prayers to whatever immortal deity up there was merciful enough to hear him.

"Good luck." Petir headed inside, waving at his friend.

Tanah waved back at him. He turned his head and straightened himself, curling up his collar as he began to chase the trio to give them their punishments.

When Petir reached his classroom, hand hovering over the knob, he heard rubber screeching behind him. He turned in surprise, to see Tanah grabbing one of the troublemaker's collars, dragging him towards the principal's office. The troublemaker was holding onto his friend's sleeve like a koala bear clinging to its mother. They looked like a miserable conga line that failed to commence.

"We're sorryyyyy," the shortest one wailed, being dragged by his friend.

"That doesn't compensate for your shenanigans," Tanah said firmly, veins appearing on his exposed arm.

As he passed by a classroom, Petir could hear the girls shriek. Hands poked out the window and offered Tanah sweets, chocolates and whatever gifts they'd brought for him.

Tanah smiled and denied all of their advances politely, and proceeded to drag the unwanted conga line to the principal's office without any difficulty.

Petir cringed through all of this.

Though, there wasn't much that awaited him on the other side of the class, either. He opened the door, which caused some heads to turn, but turn back as soon as they realized it was nothing as of importance. Even the teacher glanced over, noticed him, and gracefully ignored his tardiness as he continued writing English sentences on the board.

He could feel Hali moving in his bag, nestling to find the comfiest position to nap. Petir left to his seat, the back of the room, by his own. He was unnoticed, unimportant, and that was fine with him. He would rather remain in the shadows than have any shred of light cast on him.

Though, throughout the lesson, Petir barely listened to anything. Even though the teacher was teaching something fairly advanced, he understood basic concepts. Maybe not getting perfect scores, but he's able to get average ones.

From the front, there's always that one student who's constantly called on by the teacher, yet capable of answering any questions thrown at them. No matter how many times, how random the teacher chooses, trying to catch the student off-guard, they always rebutted with utmost accuracy.

Petir almost felt bad for the person, but he's lucky himself to be ignored by the teacher.

"Why are you so depressing?" Hali's head popped up, glaring at him through the zippers. "I bet the other Miraculous holders are at least more interesting than you."

Petir cast his glare downwards. "Then go find someone else," he hissed. "I didn't want to be stuck with you, either. Go find another person to harass."

"Hey, don't say that," Hali fussed. "I bet it's more exciting after you transform. Just wait 'til the next crime happens so we can go—"

"Do you have anything interesting to share, Petir?"

Petir whipped to the front, shoving the kwami into his bag. "No, sir," he said quickly.

No heads in the class turned, fortunately. The teacher went back to teaching, as if nothing ever happened.

Petir sighed, resting his chin on his palms. The kwami popped its head out again, though this time looking cheated.

"You're a wuss," it remarked, then promptly dove into his books.

Petir ignored the statement, like he always does.