Chapter 27

"You're out of your damn mind!" Petir shrieked, still pounding at the barriers. Tanah was walking around town, attracting fear and confusion from the people, with no sign of stopping.

Tanah stopped abruptly, turning to him. The barrier was lifted, so they were eye-to-eye.

"Why are you still struggling?" Tanah frowned. There was more annoyance than concern, but it was there. "If you are released now, you will die."

Petir scoffed, crossing his arms. "So what? You concerned?"

Tanah's frown deepened. "I'd prefer you when you were quiet. Now you're just arrogant and loud. And it's all because of Cahaya."

"Why are you so obsessed with him? What, you jealous that me and him get along while you can't?"

"Yes."

Tanah's answer surprised Petir into silence. With that, Tanah turned his back on him, and continued walking.

Petir casted his gaze downwards. He felt as if he could fall at any moment, with only a thin layer of purple carrying him.

He could see the people were afraid. Children were pointing up and crying, looking for their mothers. He could see adults shrieking, running for cover and calling for help.

With this much chaos, it wouldn't be difficult for Nightsong to take advantage of it.

And unlike other villains, Tanah was silent. He did not declare his intentions, only minding his own business, which is to look for the heroes themselves. He did not wait for their arrival, just like he never waited for anything in his life. He earned them himself.

If Tanah was still in there, if he was still fighting, what good could Petir do? He was powerless.

But is he?

"Just so you know, Tanah," Petir spat, "I'm not afraid of dying."

Tanah turned his head. "What-"

Petir threw himself at his direction, blocked by the sphere. But it did just as good, as the sphere trapping him followed his brute force, and knocked the akumatized villain off his platform.

Tanah didn't have good reflexes such as Petir's. In his moment of shock and confusion, the sphere trapping him fell apart, and Petir had his hands around Tanah's throat.

"Listen to me!" Petir screamed, air rushing by their ears. He could see the ground, and it was coming close. "I never should have treated you like you're nobody. I shouldn't have ditched you when me and Cahaya are together."

Tanah, regaining his senses, clamped his hands around Petir's arm to pry him off. He may have strength, but he has no coordination. Petir dodged his hands, and gripped Tanah's wrists instead.

"We've been separated for over a year, but that's not an excuse!" Petir continued, still seeing nothing but anger in Tanah's face. "I'm not gay, Tanah! I don't like him, and I don't like you! I don't like boys! I don't like anyone!"

A ripple of shock phased through Tanah's expression, like he never expected the factor to begin with. Petir used this chance to look for the akuma, glaring at whatever accessory that he was wearing.

He saw only one.

With a grunt, he yanked Tanah's watch off his wrist, the straps easily undone due to its cheap plastic exterior. As soon as it was off him, his transformation undone itself, and a golden kwami held onto Tanah's jacket as they plummeted down to ground.

A black hummingbird was also released, flying away from them.

Oh, shi-

They plunged headfirst into water instead.

If physics applied to Miraculous abilities, they would be as good as dead. The impact from that height would be the equivalent as landing on concrete.

Petir gasped in shock, coughing up air bubbles. He looked around, and saw they were in a firm body of water, suspended in air.

Is this Delphine's power? The new hero that appeared only a day ago. It was amazing how some people could adapt to their new powers and spring into action that quick.

The water case lowered to the ground and broke apart like a bursting bubble. The water disappeared as soon as it burst, and the two were dry, Tanah's kwami successfully hiding in his jacket.

"You okay?" a child's voice asked.

Petir coughed up non-existent water. "I'm fine," he slurred. He turned to the direction of the voice, and saw a child holding a violin. Like other heroes, he had a light blue cloak that faded to white. "You're Delphine?"

The child nodded. He was nervous. "Yes, I am."

"Ah..." Petir scratched his head. He was going to feel this in the morning.

A shuffle attracted Petir's attention, which he whipped to Tanah. The teen was regaining his senses and bearings, though he couldn't have looked more confused. He held his head in pain.

"Where am I?" Tanah wheezed, sitting up. "I felt like a truck just ran me over."

Petir stared at him, and Tanah stared back.

"Is there something on my face?"

"Don't you remember anything?"

"What? Remember what?" Tanah looked around, eyes narrowed in pain. Realization slowly crept into him, which his fists began to tighten. He braced himself for the worst.

Petir handed him the watch. Without its powers activated, it looked like a cheap red plastic watch. "You were akumatized."

"And you were falling from the sky," Delphine added. "And you almost died. But you didn't."

Petir shot Delphine a dirty look. The young hero shut up.

"Akumatized?" Tanah repeated. It was a bitter pill to swallow. "I-where's the akuma? Where am I? Petir, why are you here with me?"

His questions were left mostly unanswered, especially the last one. Petir did not have the answers he needed, but he had answers that he wanted.

That want could wait for now. It would be best to keep it to himself. He would keep these secrets that Tanah didn't want anyone to know.

But it bothered him as Tanah wore that watch. To force an akuma out, the object must be destroyed.

Did it work different for Miraculouses? Can Miraculouses be affected in the first place? He didn't know.

But knowing that Tanah is also a Miraculous holder, it troubled him.

Someone else was so close, yet he never realized.

What if Tanah only approached him because he knew about Hali?