Chapter 2

A nurse was changing the sheets when she woke up. The girl, Eleanor, spotted the strange woman hovering over her and screamed, pulling back.

"Hey, hey, you're okay, you're okay," the nurse said calmingly, holding out her hands to show she meant no harm. "My name's Claire. You're in the hospital after an accident."

"A-an accident? Like...what kind? A car crash?" Eleanor questioned.

"No. Your, um, your father's lab collapsed because of an explosion that triggered in the lab," Claire explained.

"Is he okay? He's okay, right? He-he's just in another room," the young girl sat up, hands clasped in a begging gesture. Claire's jaw tensed, feeling an immense amount of sympathy and a little pity for the desperate child in front of her.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. Your father was declared dead when emergency services arrived. They think the explosion killed him and four of his employees," Claire said softly. "I'm so sorry, Eleanor. Can I call you that?"

"I go by Ellie," she said quietly. It felt surreal like someone was playing a cruel joke and he was going to walk in, laughing at a joke he had told or foul-tempered and mean like he normally was. "This is just a nightmare. Please tell me I'm dreaming."

"I wish I could, Ellie," Claire said sincerely. "Our, uh, our records said that your mother is al--" Ellie nodded shakily, confirming her question before it was fully stated. "Do you have any other family? Grandparents, maybe?"

Ellie shook her head. "They all died when I was little. No aunts or uncles or cousins either. I'm one of--the last living member of my family." Her breath was unsteady, her face getting redder as she tried to hold in her tears.

Just a little longer. Just until she was alone. Then she could let them go.

"We're going to place you in foster care. There's a lovely older woman named Ms. Reed who's already agreed to take you in. She's very nice, I'm sure you'll love her." Claire could see the tears in her eyes, threatening to spill over but the girl was holding them back, eyes wide in stubborn resistance to showing weakness.

"When am I leaving?" she asked quietly.

"Within about 7 days."

"And before then?"

"You'll learn how to transfer between surfaces, how to use walking aids, and daily living tasks. We'll also take care of your wound and give you strength and muscle exercises."

"Wh-why do I need to do that?" Claire suddenly realized she hadn't noticed and wasn't told.

"Well, when you were brought in, you were in a lot of pain. You were just writhing on the stretcher, screaming silently. The bite from the cobra had an extremely potent, but slow-moving venom. The doctors decided that to save your life, they would need to amputate."

It was almost terrifying how quickly her face fell.

Glancing down at the sheets, Ellie could see her leg and a small stump. Gingerly, she pulled the covers back to see her normal leg and a bandaged stump where her left leg was supposed to be. Nausea flooded her system and she took several deep breaths, trying not to throw up.

"I know it's tough, honey. But you can get through this," Claire assured her. "I saw how you were before the amputation. Tough as nails, you are."

"I don't much feel like it," she mumbled. "Not at all."

"I have to leave, but I or another doctor will be back in here to explain some more things and start turning off your machines now that you're not in a coma anymore. Don't worry, it was medically induced. The doctors thought it would be better for the pain and lessen the blow a little. If you need anything or just want to talk, ask one of the nurses for Claire and they'll get me as soon as possible."

"O-okay. Thank you, Claire, really."

"Just doing my job, hon. I'll be back soon. Get some rest, Doctor Palmer should be here soon."

The door clicked close, and Ellie squeezed her eyes closed, her breath shuddering at tears burned their way down her face. She laid down on her side, curling her leg to her chest and letting the emotions flow freely.

It's just a bad dream, she told herself, she'll wake up and everything will be back to normal.

She'd wake up and get ready and go see Olive, and the two would smile and laugh and Olive would make a stupid joke they found almost too funny and Ellie would sass them back and it would be just like it always was.

They were Ellie and Olive. That's how it always was and that's how it'd always be.

Nothing's going to change. It can't.

Can it?