Chapter 22

My predictions were right. I could barely get up today, my body was so sore. After an excessive amount of time coaxing myself out of bed and into some clothes, I went down to the cafeteria, where breakfast was waiting. I grabbed some french toast and sat down in my normal seat. I was free on Saturdays, though I was probably going to start taking lessons only a few times a week, instead of every day, to make sure I wasn't going to start to deteriorate from the constant training.

After eating, I went back upstairs to my room. Since I didn't have a home, I was residing in S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters for the time being. My room was pretty plain, with white walls, tile flooring, a metal-framed bed, and a black dresser. The only way you could tell someone lived in here, was the bassoon case sitting under the bed, and the clothes in the dresser. I pulled out my bassoon case, undid the latches, and opened the case.

I picked the boot joint up, standing it between my legs, grabbed the wing joint, and twisted it into the boot joint. Then I grabbed the long joint and twisted it into the other hole in the boot joint. Then, pressing down one of the keys, I twisted on the bell and picked up the bocal. Being very careful because the bocal bends easily, I twisted it into place on top of the wing joint. I set the instrument on my bed, then pulled out an empty spice jar full of water.

Noticing the water was cloudy, I went to the bathroom at the end of the hall, dumped it out, and filled it up again. Returning to my room, I grabbed one of my reed cases, opened it, grabbed the reed, and put it into the water. I grabbed my hand rest and stuck it into its slot, then unraveled my seat strap, hooking it onto the boot joint. My reed had finished soaking, and I took it out, twisting it onto the bocal. I sat down on my bed, my strap under me, remembering the first time I had played bassoon in class.

I entered the band room, slightly nervous as I approached the band teacher. "Oh, Ellie. You'll be sitting in the 5th seat from the end in the back row," She said, and I nodded, going to my cubby. After pulling my supplies out and setting most of it in my chair, I sat directly behind my chair and opened my case, surrounded by the other band kids. "Woah, what's that?" One of our Tenor Sax players asked. "It's a bassoon," I said, as I put it together.

Several people were looking at the instrument that was almost as big as me by the time I had finished it. Still carrying my bassoon, I set up my stand and put my stuff away. I set down my seat strap, careful not to hit anyone, and locked my bassoon into the ring at the end of the strap. My reed was already in my water, and I laid my bassoon across my lap, grabbing the jar and taking it out. I moved the instrument so it was in front of my face, and twisted the reed on.

Tentative, I played a few notes on it to make sure it was properly assembled.

I smiled at the memory, moved the bassoon in front of me, and played from a G to an F, making sure it was working properly. I visualized the Jurassic Park music in my head and started to play. Then, I switched to Thailand Lullaby, the other piece I had memorized. I could play all day but refrained from doing so in case I was distracting anyone. I put the bassoon back in its case, then left my room.

I didn't know what else to do, so I headed down to the library. Clint and Natasha had gone on a mission and would return for a few more months. A few people were dotted around, including Fitz and Simmons, who I had met on my first day. They had papers sprawled all around them and were deep in the middle of a discussion. I picked a book off the shelf, settling down in a chair with a smile.

I finally felt like I had a real home.

a/n The memory is pretty similar to my first experience playing in class. (Keyword: In class. The first time I actually played bassoon I hid in the band room's closet because I was nervous [and bad but we don't talk about that]). Once, one of my classmates said 'Hey, bassoon kid, why is your reed in the water?' and I told him 'Spit isn't good enough' which is true. But you probably don't care so I'll shut up now.