Chapter 13

"Congrats on making the team!" Olive said, running up to me as I walked into school the next day. "Thanks, Olive. It was...surprising," I said, my mind still captured by the rifle in my dumpster. "I knew you could do it. You're one of the best basketball players here!" They said. My day got worse when Zach Kimmers strolled up to me. "Congratulations on making the team. I guess we'll have to work together now," He said. 

I sighed and crossed my arms. "I'm starting to regret trying out now," I said. "This is what I get for being nice?" He asked. "I didn't know nice was in your vocabulary," I shot back. "Fine. Be like that," He muttered, walking away.

 We went to the gym because it was testing today. I always hated testing, the rooms were painfully quiet and I finished way before everyone else most of the time. Our group got released, and after stashing everything but a book and a pencil in my locker, I went into the classroom. I found my seat, we were sat in alphabetical order, and sat down. I put my book in the little cage provided on the bottom of the seat and slouched in my seat.

I spun my pencil between two fingers, waiting for testing to begin. Olive was several seats away, so I had no one to talk to. The teacher walked up to the front of the room and gave the mandatory testing speech we always got. I set my pencil down as she started passing out blank paper. We were then instructed to adjust our screens and press start.

I finished relatively quickly, closing my screen and pulling my paper towards me. I started doodling the first thing I saw from the window I was next to, which was Stark Tower. When I finished, I drew the surrounding city and then the window around it. I also added details of what was on the wall. Then I flipped the paper over and drew my desk set up, along with the people beside me who were still testing.

Then I sat, staring out the window. I could see my alleyway from here. I saw the redhead from before walking over, a bag in her hand. I watched as she went over, looked around for a second, then got inside my dumpster. Because the window was open, I could faintly hear the bag rustling, then she hopped back out and walked away. I was suspicious but didn't let anyone catch on.

I pulled out my book and tried to focus on anything but what was in my dumpster waiting for me.

a/n The test scene is what happens every time I take a test because I'm a fast worker. During our final exams, I get to sit there and do nothing for 2-2.5 hours because I finished early and the test is 4 hours long.