[5] Walls | Pilot V | Tease

I sat against the left side of the boat, opposite to Kiara. I could feel her trying to catch my gaze, but I was being stubborn, looking anywheres but at her as we got closer to the motel. The boys were confused, yet wisely didn't mention anything about our lack of talking.

She gave me a lot to think about. I didn't think I was giving JJ any 'I want you to mack on me' looks. There was nothing different between JJ and I. He was still blatantly rude to me, and I was still dishing it back. I didn't suddenly wake up one day and decide I wanted JJ to mack on me— because I don't. Also, I felt bitter that she decided my concerns about the vibes within our group wasn't important. I sighed, pushing my hair off my shoulder as we approached the motel. Internally, I decided to talk Kie later and clear the air, but for now, I was content not talking to her.

A low whistle from JJ brought me out of my thoughts. "I thought the Château looked bad," he joked.

"This place is a shitshow," mumbled John B as he steered us towards the edge of the marsh.

"Motel or meth lab?" Kie added.

"You be the judge," Pope chimed in.

I let out a long breath as I took in the damage Agatha left behind. Trees, signs, and trash littered the entire property. Mattresses were outside of every room, leading me to believe they were either getting over a epidemic of bedbugs, or were airing them out. Even pieces of the roof were torn away. My stomached turned as I prayed my aunt's house wasn't in any condition similar to this place.

"Doesn't look like the type of place someone with a Grady-White would stay," John B stated.

"No, this is the place where someone with a Grady-White gets killed," Pope remarked.

I snorted. "More like the place someone with a Grady-White brings someone to kill."

We dove the boat closer to shore. As soon as we got close enough, JJ jumped off. "This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing."

He whooped as he hoped out, tying the boat to something. John B hoped out of the boat after, standing next to JJ. The two flashed us three cheesy smiles. Pope turned to me, "You should go with them, and, yano, keep them from doing something stupid."

I nodded, stepping out of the boat. John B offered his hand, which I took graciously. "I'm not making any promises, Pee." I told Pope over my shoulder as I walked up to where JJ was.

"Uh, be careful," Kie told John B as she passed him the motel key. "I mean it."

My eyes were glued to their hands as their touch lingered for a second, looking into each other's eyes. I held back the urge to laugh out loud and call Kie out on her bullshit. It's rich that she called me out nearly twenty minutes ago, yet is making 'I want you to mack on me' looks at John B. Hypocritical.

I snickered, turning away and walking towards the motel. I walked slightly ahead of John B and JJ, putting some distance between us as they talked about the mattresses. We walked up the rusty, rickety stairs and started a walk down a long stretch of doors.

"Just be so careful, John," JJ purred. I turned in time to see the John B push JJ off of him. "God, you're so weird," John B complained.

I slowed down to watch the scene in front of me unfold. "What the heck was that about?" JJ asked, referring to Kie and her earlier show of concern. Funny how it was only concern for John B, though.

"I don't know. Maybe she wants us to be careful?" John B replied, irritated.

"Since she heard you're being threatened with exile, she's just been, like–"