[17] Piss-Stalking | Spy Games I | Tease

I had no life outside of my friends. So, when we're not hanging out together I'm at my aunt's house, staring at the art-filled walls. But, although the walls were filled with vibrant colours, I still saw grey. Quiet, brooding grey.

I was playing with tiny glass whales my aunt kept on her coffee table when I got a text from Kiara, asking me to meet her at the OBX Summer Movie Series with JJ and Pope. I sent back a 'sure. omw' and stuffed my phone back into my pocket. The device was only usable here where the generators were working.

I noticed the dust had gotten thicker since the last time I came here when it was just a light layer. I needed to call Mrs. Quinlan soon, or else it'd be my fault if she ended up jobless. I made a mental note to do that when I got home later on.

I wasn't sure when my aunt was due back, but I was positive it was soon. She's been gone for two weeks, and that left one more before her scheduled return, but she was often a couple days early or late.

I think it's important to mention that I don't hate my aunt. She's a pretty carefree and relaxed woman, living her best life in exotic countries while directing different movies. She wasn't ready for a kid when a social worker dropped me off at her doorstep, therefore I couldn't be too mad when she sucked at being a guardian. Also, she never really commented on my choice of friends. She just doesn't want to hear about them when she's home.

Before I left for the outdoor movie, I tried my best to cover up the bruise on my face with makeup. The swelling went down due to the pack of ice I constantly had on my face, but I couldn't get rid of the pinkish-purple spot on my face. When I was satisfied with my work, I left the house.

The walk to where the OBX Summer Movie Series was being played wasn't too long. But, it was long enough to let my thoughts go wild. I was confused, especially when it came to JJ's mixed signals. One moment he's flirtatious and funny, then the next moment he's throwing insults in my face.

My mother never believed in the saying, "When boys bother and tease girls, it usually means they like them." She drilled into my head from a young age that behaviour wasn't acceptable, and I deserved nothing less than a boy to treat me like a princess from the beginning. So, why am I attracted to a boy who treats me like an alien– something foreign and unwelcome? I've yet to determine that answer for myself, and it bugged the living daylights out of me.

It didn't help that I felt as if I had nobody to talk to about my dilemma. I know Kie said she'd never hold my feelings against me, but what if that wasn't true, and the second I brought it up, she'd go off and say, "I told you so."

I shook my head softly to myself as I arrived where the movie would be playing, trying to get out of my thoughts. I looked for JJ, Pope or Kie at the entrance, but I came up dry. I wandered around, knowing I would hear or see one of them soon enough.

My eyes landed on a familiar head of curly brown hair. I smiled, my anxiety calming down as I approached my friend. But, my smile dropped as I noticed a large blonde boy that wasn't JJ next to her. I gulped, my knees becoming jello as I thought about the bruise hidden on my face.

Kiara turned away from Rafe, an annoyed look on her face. I saw her dark eyes light up as she noticed me, changing her course to come meet me half way. I couldn't take my eyes off of Rafe though. My stomach turned at the menacing smirk pulling at his lips.

"What was that about?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady as I continued to make eye contact with Rafe. Kiara shrugged, grabbing my shoulder to guide me away with her. I tore my eyes away, my stomach bubbling from the knowing-look in his eyes. Did he know? Did Topper know?