[24] Tough Love | Parcel 9 II | Tease

"So, here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter," John B clarified.

"John B, I hate to break it to you, but I haven't seen water or wheat," I said, patting the boy on the shoulder. "Like what kind of water are we talking about? Pond water?" Pope added.

"Bong water?" JJ said with a slight giggled. I turned to him and flicked him on the forehead, unable to stop myself from reacting to his stupidity. He rubbed the spot on his forehead, then reached out his hand, yanking the end of my braid. I swatted his hand away, smiling to myself. Who would've thought I missed JJ pulling my hair.

"No, it just said look for water, okay?" John B sighed, already fed up with our antics. Kiara pushed past John B, leaving to go find water. "That's the shittiest secret message ever," she grumbled as she left.

John B followed Kiara, continuing the conversation between the two. Pope, JJ and I stood up, the three of us looking between each other. Pope cleared his throat, glancing at JJ, "I'll search the northeast quadrant with Bee, and you search the northwest."

JJ's eyes widened and jaw dropped, his expression become that of a child told to go into a haunted house on their own. "The decapitation quadrant? No, if I'm going there, I'm bringing Winslow. No way am I dying by myself."

He grabbed my wrist, pulling me with him, leaving no room for argument. "I just don't see why I need to die with you?" I mused, letting myself get dragged to the northeast.

  JJ's grip loosened as we walked, but he didn't let go, and eventually his hand slipped into my own as he lead me through the thick bushes. My breath hitched as I looked down at our hands, his large palm enveloping my own easily. I tried to focus on the mission– find water, but every now and again my eyes drifted down to our hands.

As I looked at the back of JJ's head, I thought about if now was an appropriate time to talk with him about what I saw, especially now since we're on speaking terms. As I looked between the bruises on his face and the smile on his lips, I couldn't bring myself to ruin that mood with such a heavy topic. Maybe later.

"I don't think there's anything here, Winslow," JJ whispered, his head turning to look at me. His blue eyes pinned me on the spot, making butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"Let's go find everyone else then," I suggested. He nodded, leading us towards the group. As we got closer, he dropped my hand, making my heart drop. I watched as he walked ahead, tripping over a rock as he stumbled into the clearing in front of Mrs. Crains house. When I walked by the same area, I was sure to look out for that rock.

Pope, John B, and Kiara were kneeled down close to a small door that lead underneath the house. I missed their conversation, but I was sure it was about going inside because John B ducked into the door, disappearing from my view. Kiara, Pope and JJ followed afterwards. I sighed, knowing I couldn't wait outside.

I ducked into the small space, looking around warily at all the cobwebs and objects scattered about. It was dusty and smelled of aged dirt. I cringed as I ran into a cobweb, having a miniature freak-attack as I desperately swatted my hands in front of my face in hopes of getting it away.

I gasped, shivers running down my spine as I came across a saw. Perhaps that's what Mrs. Crain used to chop up her husband.

"Down came Mrs. Crain, and cut off all our heads," JJ hummed to the tone of the itsy-bitsy spider. "Up came the sun and dried up all our blood."

"Would you shut the fuck up?" I hissed, growing increasingly uncomfortable. JJ paused, blinking his eyes at me.

"See any water?"