[30] Real Love | Dead Calm II | Tease

I don't know what hurt more— my feelings or my legs. I finally entered Figure Eight with a heavy heart after walking all day. I cried for a little bit of the walk there, but my tears stopped falling by the time the sun went down.

I walked up my driveway, feeling hesitant to go inside and stare at the walls. But, a decision was made for me when I saw a familiar black SUV in the driveway, along with every light in the house being on. I gulped, knowing there was no way in hell I was going inside now.

I turned around and set a different route. John B's house would be my safe haven, like it was for everyone else. That being said, I prayed nobody would be around. As I hummed sad songs to myself, I realized I really didn't want to be around anybody.

I picked at my bandage, taking a peak at the ugly, stitched up gash as I walked. I could relate to the wound on my forearm, barely being held together by stitches. I felt torn, jagged, irritated and susceptible to further damage. All it would take was one little bad bacteria to infect the cut. Bad bacteria being the emotionally draining things in my life, and the cut being me. I covered it back up, being sure to keep my dirty hands away from it. The last thing I needed was an infection. Knowing my luck though..

I wondered if my aunt knew I trashed her entryway, and if she did, was she mad? If Mrs. Quinlan didn't show up to clean it, then there would be no way she didn't know. Perhaps I should've just cleaned it myself.

But there was something daunting about cleaning up the mess you've made, and I'm not talking the crumbs on the counter. I poured all my feelings into every piece of art and picture frame I broke, and somehow, it felt like if I picked up the pieces, that would mean I'm alright. Because after someone makes a mess, they clean it up and move on. But the truth was, I wasn't alright. I was far from it. I wasn't ready to clean up my mess.

I rubbed my face as I approached John B's, feeling more tired than ever. A sleepless night and tearful day is the perfect mixture for exhaustion. I yawned as I walked up the driveway, humming to myself.

I'll be okay. I know I'll be, or at least I hope I'll be. I need some sleep, and then I'll reevaluate the situation. I'll be able to think clearly tomorrow morning.

I jumped as lights suddenly turned on, the sound startling me. I looked around cautiously, thinking Barry might have made it here before I did. I walked around the back, peering around the corner, ready to attack an intruder.

"JJ?" I gasped as I turned the corner. I couldn't help but to let my jaw hang as I saw him.

There was my heartbreaker was, in all his glory, with his hair ruffled and wild, the strands falling into his eyes as he tipped his sunglasses forward, his barely visible ocean eyes watching my every move. I watched as his lips turned up in a smirk, as if he's been waiting for someone to show up all night. My face pinched in confusion as I slowly approached, observing the rest of the scene in front of me.

He sat in a luxurious hot-tub, his muscled body being showered by the waterfall splashing down his back. I gulped, my eyes trailing down his toned chest to the gold necklace that rested there. Champagne glasses floating around on flamingos caught my attention as I looked away. I didn't know what to make out of this situation. I didn't know what I was looking at.

My body was conflicted with the sight of him. My stomach fluttered, exploding with butterflies, but my chest felt heavy, the weight of my heart suffocating me, as I thought back to our earlier conversation. But, as I looked at JJ, I realized something was off.

"W-What's this? W-When did..?" I sputtered, my sentence trailing off as my head tilted to the side. I frowned as I noted the bottle of champagne in his hand. From the way it sloshed when he moved, I could tell he'd been drinking.