[9] Death Compass | The Lucky Compass I | Tease

When we entered Lana Gubbs home, I expected to see blood, gore, and a dead woman sprawled on the floor. But, I was glad to see that wasn't the case. Her house was pure chaos and destruction. Furniture and objects were scattered everywhere's, either broken or misplaced.

"Ms. Lana?" John B called as we walked throughout the house, peaking around the corners cautiously just in case we were met with a dead body. John B turned the corner. "Ms. Lana! Hey! Hey!"

The brunette rushed to the older woman. Her face was beaten, her skin decorated with different shades of blue and black, her lip busted open, and blood dripping from her brow. I cringed at the sight. "Hey, are you okay?"

I stood behind John B, watching as the older woman looked at John B as if he was her attacker. I let out a shaky breath as I analyzed her terrified face. JJ tapped John B's shoulder. "Dude, she's tweaking," He cautioned.

John B ignored him. "Do you need a doctor?" He asked her. But she continued to sob. "Beck, call the sheriff's department."

I took out my phone in an instant, ready to dial the number when the woman, Lana, cried out. "No cops, please!"

"Hmm," JJ hummed, "That's not good. Come on, dude. Let's just go," He suggested, trying to convince John B to leave. Although I wanted to help Lana, I knew if she didn't want cops involved then her situation might be a bit more illegal than assault. I bit my lip anxiously as I watched the woman, my eyes unable to move from her beaten face.

"You shouldn't be here," she sobbed.

JJ looked between John B and I. "That's enough for me. Come on."

"This.. It doesn't ... We should go John B," I whispered, hating the words that left my mouth. My heart yearned to stay here and help Lana pick up the pieces, but in the back of my head I wondered what would happen to us if those men suddenly decided they weren't done. JJ turned to go, resting a hand on my lower back to guide me out with him, but I wouldn't budge, not until John B came with us. John B grabbed JJ's arm, pulling him back.

"Wait," He pleaded to us. He turned to Lana, his face wild with curiosity. "What do you know about those guys?"

Lana sniffled, resting her head against the wall. "They were looking for something."

John B quickly whipped out his compass, flashing the golden object to Lana. "Does it have anything to do with this?"

The woman's face fell and her whimpers ceased when she caught a glance at the compass. She began to shake her head, as if she was wishing she never saw the damned thing.

"This was my father's, and Scooter had it," He continued. "Why?" Seeing the pure look of terror on Lana Gubbs face was enough for me, but it wasn't enough for a boy looking for answers about his missing father.

"Scooter didn't have it, okay?" She choked out, her snot bubbling as she spoke. "Don't tell anyone you have it!" She warned.

"Come on," I pleaded to John B, feeling frightened by her warning.

"Why?" John B continued.

"They can't know!" She yelled incoherently. "You gotta get outta here!"

"What do you know about the compass??" John B pressed, unwilling to give up just yet. I looked at JJ with wide eyes, begging him to do something.

"Go! Get out!"

JJ caught my stare. He grabbed John B by the arm, roughly dragging him along. "We gotta go. Let's go. Beck is freakin' out, man."