chapter three

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚***•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

"My position in the USA hockey team?" I repeated in disbelief. I glanced at my dad who was looking back at me with a proud smile on his face.

"Yes! You have a lot of talent Madison. Many people have told me and I've seen your tapes. I am positive that you will make a terrific asset to the team" Don ensured with a slight smile.

"Thank you so much Mr. Tibbles! This is amazing" I told him as a ridiculous grin slapped on my lips.

"As amazing as it is, training starts in two days and I'm afraid that you will be needed in Minneapolis, Minnesota" he stated with an apologetic look.

I sighed quietly. I won't be able to see my mum before I go. At the same time, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I didn't care because I was about to compete in the Junior Olympics in a sport I absolutely adored.

"That's okay" I reassured Don.

"I've organized you a driver to pick you up at 10 am on Saturday morning. There is also another kid getting picked up from Chicago, Illinois on the way here. His name is Dean Portman. So you will be driving with him up to Minnesota" He told me before looking at his watch.

"Oh would you look at the time. I've got to go, places to be. I'll be sure to email you the rest of the details" Don stood up from the couch. I copied his actions and shook his hand once more.

"Thank you very much, Mr Tibbles" I gushed.

"You are very welcome. I'll look forward to seeing you up in Minnesota" he said before saying his farewells to my dad.

and with that, he left.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"Team USA in the junior olympics...way to go Madison!!" My dad gushed, engulfing me in a big hug. "I knew you could do it"

A large smile plastered on my face.

"I am so proud of you honey"

***

i still couldn't process the news. I laid down on my bed facing up towards my ceiling. Kailey laid beside me in just as much shock.

she propped herself up on one elbow and faced me. she shook her head playfully. "You did it"

I remained in my current state whilst a giggle erupted from my lips. A smile stayed placed on my lips.

"You know, it doesn't feel real yet" I admitted staring up at my ceiling. Kailey held her gaze on me for a few seconds before flopping back down.

"Reality will hit you soon enough, like when your driving up to Minnesota to meet the team, when your training your heart out, when your board that plane to LA and you step out onto the ice in front of thousands of people, to represent your country" Kailey ranted with a sigh.

"Aren't you just excited for all that?" Kailey had the happiest smile on her face. Her eyes were closed and I knew she was imagining herself in my position.

"I wish you could come too" I told her.

she opened her eyes and looked at me.

"This is your shot Madison. This is your passion. Yeah I might love hockey but it's just a game, but to you, hockey is your life and you cannot sit here and deny your talent because you are amazing. I want you to go on that trip and show the world what you can do" Kailey gushed.

A kind smile tugged at my lips. I processed what she said and stifled a laugh.

"I agree and respect what you have told me but I-" I cut myself off by laughing.

Kailey sent me the most confused look I had ever saw in my life which caused me to laugh harder.

"What did I say?" She asked chuckling my ridiculous sounding laugh.

"Shit Kay you could be a motivational speaker or something" I wheezed.

"Heyy I wasn't trying to be cringy I was trying to encourage you" she argued and hit my arm.

I apologized whilst calming myself down. I took a few exaggerated breaths and turned to her.

"thank you for your support. It means a lot to me" I told her and pulled her in for a hug.

"I can't believe I have to go in a 3 hour car ride with a boy I don't even know" my laugh was muffled in her hair.

"Hey think of the positives, he might be cute and you might hit it off" Kailey joked.

I rolled my eyes playfully and shoved her off my bed. She hit the floor with a thud and we bursted into a fit of giggles.

"Alright get your ass up and help me pack" I extended my arm out to her and effortlessly pulled her to her feet.

"Yes ma'am. Consider me your personal stylist" Kailey said running her fingers across the clothes that hung in my closet.

"Okay" I chuckled as she pulled different items of clothing onto my bed.