Chapter 2

The last set of trees woosh by my face and it's an open ocean before I know it. There is nothing but water for miles. I wonder how many creatures are able to live in the water. I know many ceased to exist because of the conditions from the sink holes and environmental factors that started the war. I just can't help but wonder what still is able to live beneath us. The ocean is so big, which makes it pretty scary. I love swimming, feeling the water ride and briskly skim against my arms. I feel light as a feather when I'm in the water. I'm so used to Lola's pool, I've never seen the ocean before. I've seen the lake a few miles away from my house, but it practically dries up and is filled with gunk. This ocean...it's even more beautiful than I've imagined. It whistles mystery but it also provokes a sense of serenity that I may be reaching for. To think the possibilities are endless from here on out still hasn't exactly settled into my sense of reality yet. I'm going to Crepidine. I'm leaving Intulia behind and I'm going to Crepidine. My eyes continue to make serious eye contact with the ocean waves as our train glides over it on the tracks, my fingers gliding over the piece of metal in my lap. The piece of metal in my lap that will change my life forever. It already has. I'm on a bullet train. I'm seeing the ocean and it's not from a picture. I'm eating cookies for free. Less than twenty four hours ago I was caught in Mrs.Burrows bracelet and watching beads scatter across wooden floorboards. Now I am on a literal train, not one drawn from my sketch book, and heading somewhere people only go in their dreams.

"Can I have your cookie,"My brother pokes my arm. I avert my gaze from through the window and give him a gentle smile before nodding. He gives a warm smile back before taking it off my napkin. The plate of some breaded knot things sit beside it. I guess they call them pretzels. I've never seen them before. Back home we have twisty things that look like they're made of cinnamon and raisin thought. These just look like miniature versions of those, just with salt instead of the coated sugar and sweet ingredients. They remind me of home but also offer a new variety to my life, just what I need.

"I grabbed this from the house for you. I know you didn't have too many valuables in your room,"My mom places an object into my hand and slides into the seat across from me, sinking into the cushion with her black coffee and morning smile. I look down at my hand and smile. My locket. Inside is a picture of some old mythical creature. I think they called them Mermaids years and years ago. I found the locket in my grandmother's old things when she passed away and I decided to keep it. It's pretty old and it's starting to rust but when I found it as a twelve year old, it appealed to me. I assume that the idea of the water creature probably pulled me in. Water still does. It just feels so bigger than life.

Last night, as soon as my parents collected their thoughts, they took me straight to the government building. I was still in shock and it was all a big blur, but I remember my parents heading home to gather anything they would like to take with them while I stayed in a government room for the night. It was hard to sleep, but the mattress and blankets given made it pretty easy.

"Thank you,"I slip the locket in the jacket that the government supplied me last night. I am now a proud owner of leather. A yellow tank top lies beneath the jacket and a slick pair of pants match it. The pants are pretty warm considering how hot the sun has been blazing down on us, but they pair with the top well and it's a break from my standard grey khakis pants and my black t-shirts. I had this terrible thought that I would be forced into dresses everyday or something. The worst thing I imagined was to be casted out with clothing, like uniforms that all the other new Crepidine members have to wear too.

I have no idea who the other four people from Intulia are yet. Every year there are five from Monstrat and five from Intulia. They are probably people I don't really know. Well, considering I don't have many friends to begin with and my family tends to stick to themselves so it would be interesting to see anybody that we actually know. Intulia isn't the biggest territory, but it is still pretty big. The chances of us knowing the other families are pretty slim. We are no longer part of Intulia now. We are in Crepidine. All territories unite into one and we pick our new lives. It's the overwhelming endless possibilities that can cause trouble, but there are so many positives to look at as well.