Chapter 7

The next room is much brighter than the rest and it takes me a minute to realize we aren't in a room or an underground tunnel, we are outside. Instead of a ceiling above our heads, there is a blue sky and instead of some green or red lights, there is a sun. A sun that reminds me how much I hated the heat, but a sun nonetheless that I am grateful to see. There is a pond in the middle of a field of grass. However, the pond has a sign that says do not enter. Trees scatter around the area, the two tallest parallel with each other. The two trees have carved in steps, signifying some sort of climb is about to go down. On both trees there is a platform that leads to sealed bronze doors. A few feet in front of us sits another glass stand with a screen awaiting our arrival. I don't know who this room belongs to in terms of fear, but it actually brings a sense of peace within me. Seeing the sky is a relief and gives me a source of hope to hang onto. There is no dome above us like when we entered the train area, it is open skies. I can see that the others are also intrigued to see such a bright and natural area. Some also look like they are trying to pinpoint what fear we are actually walking into. Looking at the trees, I have a feeling that the fear might be of height or something of that nature.

"This is almost too calming,"Graham whispers beside me.

"I agree,"I nod as we start to approach the glass stand.

Arizona and Landon sit feet away from Ingrid. Maverick and Cleo could look unconcerned. Dakari and Winnie walk slightly in front of Graham and I. Soren walks a little behind me. Everyone seems to be in their own world and the tension would have to be cut with a knife. However, we all currently have one common goal: seeing who this room "belongs" to.

Cleo and Maverick reach the screen first, cleo pressing the audio with her finger.

The voice starts to announcem"Hello. Enjoy the scenery,"The voice ends just as quickly as it started. Four simple words in about five simple seconds. At this point we are all standing around the screen and It's almost like we forgot what usually happens next until not one, but two names appear on the screen this time. Two boxes for fingerprints appear side by side.

One for Dakari and one for Ingrid. Ingrid and Dakari glance at each other

"I'll go first,"Dakari volunteers. His name appears on the left side. If we were reading a book left to right, Dakari probably is supposed to go first anyway. Ingrid nods without saying anything or any objection and Dakari presses his thumb to the box, just like all the golden straw beholders before him. A new screen pops up with the short text and an image of two trees.

Hello Dakari. Take your own path. Good luck

"I don't get it,"Soren squints at the image,"What's your fear?"

"Being alone,"Dakari deadpans before looking up at the two trees. My earlier observation seems to become more clear and as Dakari starts to explain his reasoning, it makes even more sense,"I have to go out the different door than the rest of you I think. I probably have to continue this thing on my own. There are two doors, one on each platform near the trees."

As I think about his fear, I'm surprised it's not my own. I'm a pretty independent person when it comes to thought and doing my own thing but being alone is such a terrible feeling. However, I think it's something I dread or find sadenning more than something I actually fear.

"Well how do we get up there?"Landon asks, probably unaware of the carved in steps that are in both of the trees. Before I decide to answer him, Ingrid does her own thing.

"I think I have an idea,"She huffs and presses her thumb to the screen.

Hello Ingrid. It's time to take your life to new heights. Good luck