Chapter 10

As we ride back on the train no one speaks. No one really moves. We are in similar seats to those of the ones that we sat in our way here. I look out the window as we exit the underground tunnel area and are exposed to the blue sky and green fields. The same ones that have been tainted by this stupid fear test. If I fell to Crepidine, so be it. I fiddle with the metal straw in my hands. Suddenly a body is next to me. Expecting it to either be Winnie or Graham, I'm surprised to see it be Cleo.

"Why did you turn it down?"She asks. There it is. The question on everyone's mind. I shake my head before I decide that I should probably answer.

"I saw what they did to people. If that's how they want people to remember their first experience, I don't want any part of it,"I remain looking out through the window.

"How noble,"She smiles.

"I declined my straw,"I point out.

"Duh,"She deadpans.

"No as in. I picked,"I assert.

"Obviously. So did I,"She shrugs.

"Not in the same way,"I laugh.

She goes silent for a moment,"I was fine with it."

I roll my eyes,"I don't like snakes,"I glare.

"Yeah, I don't know if I get that assertion,"She shrugs,"But I'll see you around."

"You wouldn't get it. You didn't see yourself,"My words stop her in her tracks.

"What?"She sits back down, raising her eyebrows.

"The last time you were on this train you were complaining about snakes and fake people. Which, by the way sounds exactly like Electa. They want you to think that it's better, but then they do this to us all because we are after a golden straw. You came in with confidence and spunk. You walked out defeated because you didn't have one. You were upset about it. Admit it. You felt defeated. You didn't have a choice of power. You were faced with your fears and you reached a state of defeat,"I explain.

"I'm not defeated,"She defends.

"Yes you are. We all are. They defeated us the second we even debated the golden straw for a second. You were just one that made me realize it. You snapped. You looked like you died when you walked out of that door without the straw,"I point out. She doesn't say anything, instead she glances over me one more time before she gets up and sits next to Maverick. I don't know where that leaves us, but I return to looking out my window. A sudden gut wrenching thought enters my mind. I really hope my family is okay. Another presence sits down next to me. This time it is more expected.

"I heard what you said. I get it,"Graham nods,"They changed us more than we were ever planning on changing about ourselves by coming here."

"I wish I was in Intulia. At least I knew my family was safe,"I say.

A flash of concern flashes his face,"I think we can all relate to that."

He sighs,"What?"I ask.

"I wish I didn't take this stupid thing,"He looks down at the golden straw.

"Why? Those without them look like freaks,"I laugh. I say it to make him feel better.

"Maybe I want to be a freak,"He smiles at me. I widen my eyes at him.

"Chuck it,"I push down my window and laugh,"Somewhere into the forest. Hurry before it becomes a tunnel and it ricochets, but against the train,"I laugh.

"I can't tell if you're joking,"He looks at me carefully. It's the bears all over again.

"I can't either,"I reply, closing the window behind me. It's the hysteria speaking. Maybe. I don't have a clue how to feel or where I mentally go from here. I can tell from the first moment I met him that I liked his attitude and view on things. That's why I'm not surprised by his distaste towards the object in his hands. It's not for him either.