Chapter 3 - No Matter What

Charlotte's P.O.V.

Today's date is June 18, 1963. That means it's Paul's birthday! He's now 21 years old. I've decided to go out and buy him a gift. Oh, what am I saying? I always buy a gift for his birthday! Same with Christmas, Valentine's Day, and, of course, our anniversary, which happens to be on June 20. We started dating on that day in 1960.

Anyway, I asked Julie and Lola to help me pick out something for Paul. "Hmm, what's something that Paul enjoys?" I asked. "Music, definitely." Said Lola. "Writing songs, that's another thing." Said Julie. "Playing the guitar, he's been doing that since he was in his teens." Lola said. "I know he and the others like music by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Carl Perkins." Julie said.

Lola snaps her fingers. "I've got it!" She said. "What have you got, Lola?" Asked Julie. "Charlotte, why don't you buy a photo album and fill it with pictures of you and Paul?" Said Lola. "Oh... my... GOD!!! Lola, that's genius!" I said excitedly. "Looks like you have geniuses for your best friends." Said Julie. "Oh yeah! Julie, I called you a genius after you picked out what shoes I should wear with the dress I picked out, and Lola is a genius for picking out what I should get Paul for his birthday! You two certainly have amazing taste!" I said happily.

We all managed to find gifts for Paul. I found a photo album like Lola suggested, Julie bought three records with each of Paul's favorite artists, and Lola bought Paul a new hofner bass.

My family has decided to throw a surprise party for Paul. The four of us put up balloons and a banner that says, Happy Birthday, Paul! We even invited his bandmates to come over.

When it was about time to get ready for the party, I decided to wear a dress. So I went through my closet to pick one out, until I spotted my favorite blue dress.

Charlotte's dress:

Next, I went through my shoes to find a pair that'll match the dress

Next, I went through my shoes to find a pair that'll match the dress. At one point, my red flats caught my eye.

Charlotte's shoes:

By the time I went downstairs, I noticed that Julie and Lola were already here

By the time I went downstairs, I noticed that Julie and Lola were already here. They happen to be wearing dresses as well.

Lola's dress: